Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 556 - Finished

And the next one, keep in mind it is a very low production model

The rules for the Autoquiz   are

• No answers allow in the ongoing Auto quiz thread
  • No comments  in the ongoing Auto quiz thread that give any clues or suggestion to the car in question
  • A PM must be sent to the one who has started the ongoing thread 
  • The PM must contain Year of production, Manufacturer and Type
  • In case of violating the rules  the quiz will closed immediately and no winners will be announced

So please stick with the rules and don't ignore them. 

Autoquiz 556.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I have to apologize for the late announcement of the winners of this quiz. I was a week in vacation on a classic tour  in East Angila.

But now I'm back and here is the solution of this quiz. This car I should also use for the one-off quiz because only one was build and it is a prototype. Daimler wanted to replace the Daimler SP250 with a more modern design over the period 1961 - 1963.  The Daimler SP252 were first shown to the public 1961 in Geneva. Some internet sources say it is a 1963 model. So that is also correct.

A viability study shows that it would not be an economic proposition as the SP250’s fibreglass body was very labour intensive and the car took 2½ times as many man-days to build as the Jaguar E-type.  This meant that even if the ‘SP250 Mark II’ version of the car sold, it would never be profitable and the project was shelved. So this car ended up in a corner of Browns Lane factory. The car was loaned the car to the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust for display, from March 2020 to the end of 2021.

The correct Answer were sent on bay

Thom

Bucky

Richard Bartrop

gbtr6

Ace-Garageguy

thatz4u

Congratulations

It's rather lovely, isn't it? Like the love child of a Maserati and an MGB. That said, if I'd known it was a one-off, I'd have been looking in different places! Mind you, I should have figured out that something that good-looking and British couldn't have been built in large numbers, or I'd have known what it is...

best,

M.

• Like 1

It’s a shame they didn’t do more with that little V8. You can get one in a Jaguar Mk2 body, which is pretty cool, but as the starting point for this shows, shame it wasn’t used more widely in MG or Triumph cars after the merger. Stag would have fewer teething problems with a V8 that worked from the off… And what about a Triumph GT8 with the Daimler engine? That really WOULD have been a “poor man’s E-type”…

best,

M.