Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Darlington Southern 500 winner, Darel Dieringer


MarkJ
 Share

Recommended Posts

Started this back in February. I always wanted to build this model but could never find a kit. I decided I would have to take an AMT 1967 Mercury Comet Cyclone and make it somewhat look like a 1966. Finally finished it after much trying and trying again to get it somewhat right. It took 186.5 total hours to build. That includes the 36.5 I used to create and print the laser decals. Its brush painted using Vallejo acrylic paint in the little bottles. 

66mc17.jpg

66mc2.jpg

66mc12.jpg

66mc13.jpg

66mc14.jpg

66mc16.jpg

66mc4.jpg

66mc5.jpg

66mc6.jpg

66mc7.jpg

66mc10.jpg

66mc11.jpg

66mc18.jpg

66mc20.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another Southern 500 winner successfully coming off your bench. You should post a pic of all them together.

Bud Moore had some of the best looking rides from the sixties and the transformation you made from a basic AMT 67 road car to a full blown 66 race car is highly successfull. 

Your brush painting is really good. It took me so much more time to achieve this level. Wondering, how did the polishing compound help vs only sanding cloths? (going through experiments myself)

Beautiful car with tons of scratch building challenges. My hat's off sir!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been following your build thread on this. With all the work you have put into this, you should be proud. That looks great! Can't believe that is brush painted. You always do a great job on making your own decals. Again, this looks great. Thanks for sharing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, guys. The brush painting is still a work in progress. I need to figure out a way to get the paint to flow easier, so it has time to flatten out the brush strokes before they dry. Maybe more thinner or maybe add some retarder. If I could get it to act like future, that I also put on with a brush, I would be where I would want to be. More experimenting on the next build. I have decided that I need to print the color decals as ink jet. the small contingency laser decals are just not crisp looking at all with this laser printer. The white underlay decals work just fine. Sometimes you have to double up on them like I did on the quarter panels and doors. the hood 405 decals looked about the same doubled or not. Sure, am glad they came out with the Ghost White toner cartridge.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, sflam123 said:

This build turned out FANTASTIC!  I followed along with you WIP on this, and I know it gave you fits, but the results are outstanding.  

Thank you so much, Stephen. I really appreciate your interest in the build and your kind words as well. 

I think I might forego the wip process next build and just take a few wip pictures to post along with the finished pictures.  Kind of like what Henrik does when he posts his finished photos. Just a thought right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Excellent work. 
I have to ask why brush paint it?

Thanks, Tim, I have never had good success with airbrush or rattle cans and the toxicity issues forces me outside to deal with the heat and humidity and junk falling out of the trees on my builds. not to mention orange peel issues, run issues, dulling out paint issues, mostly caused by humidity and the cleanup of the airbrush after the paint session. The cleanup with brush painting is in my kitchen sink with dawn dishwashing detergent. Can't get any easier than that. I just need to figure out how to get the paint to flow better to completely eliminate the brush marks, so I don't have to polish as much. Pierre has found the secret, but I'm still working on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks, Tim, I have never had good success with airbrush or rattle cans and the toxicity issues forces me outside to deal with the heat and humidity and junk falling out of the trees on my builds. not to mention orange peel issues, run issues, dulling out paint issues, mostly caused by humidity and the cleanup of the airbrush after the paint session. The cleanup with brush painting is in my kitchen sink with dawn dishwashing detergent. Can't get any easier than that. I just need to figure out how to get the paint to flow better to completely eliminate the brush marks, so I don't have to polish as much. Pierre has found the secret, but I'm still working on it.

Ok just wondering cause me and a brush don’t get along well at all!😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Ok just wondering cause me and a brush don’t get along well at all!😁

Tim, you have the airbrush, rattle can mastered, so there is no need for you to use anything else. Your paint work is always excellent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow Mark, I did not know you don't airbrush.  I do airbrush the bodies but everything else is usually brushed with acrylics. I too would like to know the secret to not having brush strokes.

At anyrate, you did an absolutely outstanding job on the Comet.  Looking forward to your next detailed creation. 

Great work👌👌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Mike. Next one will not be detailed. More of a test bed for no brush marks and ink jet decals, mixed in with the laser white decal backgrounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2022 at 12:46 PM, MarkJ said:

Thank you so much, Stephen. I really appreciate your interest in the build and your kind words as well. 

I think I might forego the wip process next build and just take a few wip pictures to post along with the finished pictures.  Kind of like what Henrik does when he posts his finished photos. Just a thought right now.

Obviously, it is your choice, but from a personal standpoint, I thoroughly enjoyed following along with your progress and your explanations of why you did what you did.  I DO get the desire to simplify though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, sflam123 said:

Obviously, it is your choice, but from a personal standpoint, I thoroughly enjoyed following along with your progress and your explanations of why you did what you did.  I DO get the desire to simplify though!

Well, you never know. I change my mind quite often, so I might be wipping again. The next build will be much easier. The hood is molded shut and the exhaust is molded into the chassis, so the only detail work will be removing the trim and do a race car tub, which means roll cage. I might try decal shoulder harness hardware. making those little buckles and tensioners is a pain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...