Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project 1/16th AA/FA AND HERE IT IS!

Recommended Posts

Very preliminary mock up of the MSD Power Grid Module controller circuit. All of the major components of a basic system are represented. Now detail each box and add wiring plus upgrade or replace mounting plate and add the master on off switch in the right rear corner of the plate.  Added some color to give a better representation of its final look none of this pieces will end up in the final assembly  this piece was to simply check clearances and it did require a lot of reworking not only to this assembly but also the body, driveline and also the steering gear.  Getting a low ride height does require careful packaging of the mechanicals


IMG_0003 (2).JPG

IMG_0004 (1).JPG

IMG_0007 (1).JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Small update MSD system will now fit between the chassis and the body when down.  Had to thin the body and remount and rebuild the steering box, now underslung and the output shaft is on the other side.  The only differentials I had were out of the Revell kits and neither the 8 3/4 or the quick change would be up to the task.  Fellow modeler Dave Tolson came to the rescue with a killer 9 inch that is a direct replacement.  Great work Dave!

IMG_0019 (1).JPG




Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the last set of zoomies I built I swore that I would not build another set!  This thing just won't leave me alone. Every day when I think I can  begin assembling parts I notice an area that just doesn't measure up to some of the things that are already started and or being finished off.  Headers case in point, brass 2 1/2 inch with thermocouples than go with the electronics suite.  Just nailing the lengths and radius required to clear the body side skirts


IMG_0031 (1).JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Ian McLaren changed the title to Project 1/16th AA/FA Brass Headers
3 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

Looking sharp sir, probably looking far in the future. Any idea of paint color or colors?

Perhaps not that far, although not completely locked down the basic color will be pearl white, the graphics will be all pearls - Red - Orange - Yellow - Black/Gunmetal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Ian McLaren changed the title to Project 1/16th AA/FA Chassis Tin -- Wing tilt Mechanism

Progress today, All of the aluminum panels car cut and fitted. Just need the fastener holes drilled in the panels and the plates mounted on the chassis. Then the panels will be test fitted and if that goes well, I will apply the self etching primer to make sure the paint really sticks to the aluminum as there is going to be a lot of masking required on this one. Front rotors and calipers are painted and lines fitted, just have to build a dual reservoir master cylinder. Scratch built dash is ready for paint and gauges. Most of the switches are mounted and the wiring can be completed.

IMG_0002 (3).JPG

IMG_0003 (3).JPG

IMG_0004 (2).JPG

IMG_0103 (1).JPG

IMG_0104 (1).JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man Ian, this thing is coming along fantastically!! Looking at your pics, you easily forget that your chassis came from the old Revell flopper kits. Since you mentioned potential colors, I'm really looking forward to seeing you lay down some paint. Salute sir, Salute!!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drivers compartment tin now located, all three pieces. Front sections now installed and trimmed, just have to finish profiling the chassis plates. The panels can now be removed, replaced and worked on without damage to them or the chassis. They will also be removeable for display purposes.563318797_IMG_0032(1).JPG.8eb3d22e65f7206cf800f6e5c4339407.JPG

Regrouped from this afternoon and took all of the major sub assemblies and made sure they still fit. Fuel tank/rad is off getting modified for better fit and also getting some bling added,14-71 shown is just a place holder unless I put a bag on it (not wasting a perfectly good 14-71 if you can't see most of it) If Scott gets me the blower retainer plate, I have a very nice fully detailed 14-71 to use as well as an updated hat. You can see the front rotors and calipers in place as well. From this point forward it's basically clean up, add detail, get out the airbrush and start to finish this one off.
No photo description available.
IMG_0027 (2) - Copy.JPG

IMG_0028 (2) - Copy.JPG

IMG_0029 (2).JPG

IMG_0031 (2).JPG

IMG_0032 (1).JPG

IMG_0035 (2).JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Ian McLaren changed the title to Project 1/16th AA/FA AND HERE IT IS!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...