Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Baja Bug

53 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I'm sure Charles is working on a stinger exhaust of some kind. I'm going to use the one from the AMT Manx kit if I can get it to work. It's 1/25 while the revell kit is 1/24. I found the perfect wheels for this build but they cost more than most full price kits. I'm hoping they will work with the tires I plan on using.

1:24 VW Baja wheels and dragster tire set up | 3DScaleParts

great link, I can see they'll be getting some of my money soon

I just compared the revell and tamiya bug bodies. There is a 1mm difference between the fenders on the bottom edge, the rear of the tamiya is slightly wider while the front of the revell is slightly wider. The fender heights are the same and the rear edges of the hood are very very close to each other. Since the bottom of the front body is cut away to fit the kit i think the baja kit will fit the tamiya. If you have the skills to fit the kit to the revell then you have the skills to fit it to the tamiya too. The side rails and bumpers may not fit if they are designed for the revell kit, but maybe the inner tubes of those could be extended and done as a trim to fit part so it would fit both kits. Since it will fit the tamiya bug, it should also fit the italeri/aoshima/various others 1303 kits but since they are curbside its probably not the best base for the trans kit as the engine is a big feature of a baja. Some kit bashing could fix that though. I've previously measured the 1303 as i was going to put a tamiya chassis under it. I suspect it would also fit the gunze kit with some small mods.

• 3 weeks later...

I got some bench time this past weekend and worked the kit onto a Tamiya Bug. I choose it as it gives me the option to detail under the bonnet and to use the Blackbox 3d printed motor and transmission. 

Took a little work to get the fenders to fit in the front, sanding and shaping, as well as the back fenders. The biggest adjustment came to the engine cover. I had to narrow it on each side to line up proper on this body. Easily done, and anyone who has done any sort of scratch building/modifying can do this. I think in all from cutting off the fenders of the plastic kit to adjusting the 3d parts to gluing them on was less than an hour total. 

The photo with it in primer is with 1 coat of spray can primer to see how thinks lined up and look. I have been mocking up/modifying suspension height on this and have printed a set of one-off directional sand tires for the rear and skinny balloon style tires for the front with a set of my Jackman rims. I will keep posting here as progress is made.

Great transkit from Texas 3d Custom/Charles, much needed in the VW builder's community! Thanks!!

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7192.jpg

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7195.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

Edited by Finks Garage
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

So really long time since this all started but I finally finished up the Narrow Eye version, hard to do new stuff and fulfill all my orders and take care of normal life, but its on my site and heres a picture of the parts.

20230608_183438.jpg

I'll be wanting one of these kits to recreate my old Baja from when I lived in the Pismo Beach area. 

IMG_1754 (2).jpg

IMG_1751 (2).jpg

• Like 2