Model Cars Magazine Forum

OLD YELLER II – painting of car by current owner added Sept 30

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Builds that are inspired by real cars, without actually being replicas are some of my favorite projects.

Thanks Daniel - I totally agree. I have a new project on my bench of a dragster I first saw in 1963 and saw again last weekend. I could not resist trying to build a model that at least resembles it.

Just saw this, thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Great build of an icon. Over the years I've seen lots of pics of Old Yaller and they were all just a little different, a patch here a piece of tape there so yours may be correct for some races. Model on Oh great one!

• 4 weeks later...

I sent photos of the model to Ernie Nagamatsu the longtime owner of Old Yeller II. He sent me an envelope with some Old Yeller memorabilia inside and this amazing hand painted version of Old Yeller II on the front of the envelope. He also posted photos of the model on his personal Facebook page. Thanks Ernie !!

1117103458_Erniespainting.thumb.jpg.5aeb5974254d2d175a2c3e22ad62c926.jpg

• Like 2

• Phildaupho changed the title to OLD YELLER II – painting of car by current owner added Sept 30
12 hours ago, afx said:

Great job Phil.  Do you have any progress photos of the build you could share?

Thanks JC. I did not do a WIP post because I was not sure I would be able to take this build to completion but here are a couple of early build phtos.

2v2aad7TvximYT.jpg2v2aad7SrximYT.jpg

Love this car. Really nice model Phil. You captured the spirit of the car and the engine and cockpit details really make the car standout. 

I have first hand experience. My step father, George Lehman, built and raced his own ASR and CM front engine Chevy road race “specials” in the 60’s in Cal Club. Being a racer and builder from Santa Barbara, George volunteered to help his friends Dave and Blake Gibbs restore Old Yeller after the Gibbs bought the crashed remains around 1977. George confirmed that  Max and Ina Balchowski became involved later during the Gibbs ownership offering valuable advice about setting up the chassis, the Buick nailhead motor and its unique 6 carbs. The Gibbs, Ann and George Lehman, Vilander family and the Carlson family members helped prep the car, pack cars and travel to West Coast races including early Historic Events at Laguna Seca, Pomona, Riverside, St. Louis (street race) and Portland Raceways. George and Blake Gibbs were the principle builders, mechanics and they took turns racing the car. Mike Shapiro built and painted the entire body out of flat sheet aluminum using traditional mallet, shot bag and English wheel. Mike used original (crashed) body parts and magazine photos for reference. (Just like you did Phil)   Dave Gibbs funded and inspired the program. The team really did a nice job restoring the car and getting all the details period correct. “Bringing it back”. “Nice. But not too nice” because it is, after all, “a junkyard dog.”  Remember back in the 70’s there were few vintage race events and Old Yeller was considered an old, slow, uncompetitive race car. Very pleased to see this car celebrated going on 60+ years. The car was then, and remains today, massively popular with fans. 

Phil. I have a lot of private photos and drawings that might be helpful if you need additional reference information. The Jay Leno feature show and Tam’s Old Car Race website offer excellent information as previously mentioned. Also you can see Old Yeller Mk II  in the Elvis Presley’s movie “Viva Las Vegas” 

In any case keep up the great work Phil and I’m looking forward to seeing your next modeling project.

- Scott Vilander,  Santa Barbara Ca.

40 minutes ago, Scott Vilander said:

Love this car. Really nice model Phil. You captured the spirit of the car and the engine and cockpit details really make the car standout. 

Thanks, Scott, for your great reply. I always like it when I have an inter- personal connection to a model build. I have been very fortunate over the years that there have been quite a few such connections.

12 hours ago, Scott Vilander said:

Aerospace Engineer and SCCA Club Racer George Lehman & Old Yeller Mk II.

Lining  up a 1956 Maserati 300S at the Ninth Annual Monterey Historic Automobile Races

August 22, 1982, Bob Dunsmore Photo Credit

Thanks, Scott, for the photos. I didn't think I had had that issue of Vintage Motorsport but I had to check none the less. It was before I became a subscriber.

Recommend getting a copy of the August 1960 issue of Sports Cars Illustrated Magazine.

”Beauty Beneath the Skin”  - Wayne Thoms

Old Yeller Chassis Cutaway Artwork - C.O. LaToudette

In case you want to build a replica frame to go under the bodywork.

Good source  material including a cutaway drawing of Old Yeller’s chassis and a photo of the bare rolling chassis.2F6053F4-BF2D-45EF-A4D3-C97A46AD720D.thumb.jpeg.1a2137e58709caf8b8bc72d416f1d81e.jpeg

AF2E2E51-7593-4769-8C18-5D5862DD5BCA.jpeg

C9EE259D-88AA-46F7-9D70-70D3B0155287.jpeg

6F1ED68B-18B4-4ED1-B45E-76CC7F769631.jpeg

70FB2BA4-3DC7-4E80-BE7E-F2D633FF6CB8.jpeg

Recommend getting a copy of the August 1960 issue of Sports Cars Illustrated Magazine.

”Beauty Beneath the Skin”  - Wayne Thoms

Old Yeller Chassis Cutaway Artwork - C.O. LaToudette

In case you want to build a replica frame to go under the bodywork.

Good source  material including a cutaway drawing of Old Yeller’s chassis and a photo of the bare rolling chassis.

Thanks again Scott - Great information. Very interesting. I have moved on to a couple of new projects so likely my Old Yeller will stay as is.