Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1969 Olds 442 W-30.

Dragonhawk1066

Skip a couple of days to Monday, when I mixed up a bottle of Delta Navy Blue Metallic craft paint to airbrush onto the body. Properly thinned, the paint sprayed nicely and four coats later it was nice and Blue. I will say I need better lighting in the building room, both for painting and picture taking, as the blue stands out much more in person.

DSCN2087.JPG

DSCN2089.JPG

DSCN2091.JPG

• Like 4

I did some airbrushing onto the rest of the parts Wednesday and Thursday, while also applying the decals on Thursday. I have to admit I did apply the trunk decals to see how they'd look. I really didn't like the look, more like just another Chevelle imposter (Although I do like Chevelle's), so off they went. Today started the tedious detail painting stage of the build, and hopefully tomorrow allows me to get the clear sprayed on.

DSCN2093.JPG

DSCN2094.JPG

DSCN2095.JPG

• Like 5

I was going to use the Decoart Gloss Varnish for the clear, but I think I got a bad bottle, so I went with Createx 4050 UVLS Gloss Clear. The more I use the Createx, the more I like it as it sprayed nicely and looks pretty good. Not as good as lacquers mind you, but usually after wet-sanding it has a decent shine. Speaking of wet-sanding, after it sets for two or three days that's what I'll be doing, lol. I also started detailing the dash and wheels (I'll be going with Magnum 500's on this one), and mostly finished the engine/transmission. I still have to make power steering pump and alternator brackets for the engine.

DSCN2102.JPG

DSCN2101.JPG

DSCN2098.JPG

DSCN2100.JPG

DSCN2099.JPG

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

While I'm in a bit of a hold on the AMT Mod Rod Hot Rod, I went ahead and got started on the AMT 1969 Olds 442. I had previously cleaned and prepped the parts on this one in early August, so I sprayed the primer on Saturday. 

DSCN1884.JPG

DSCN2074.JPG

What primer did you use?

Loving your thread...

Edited by Kenmojr

11 minutes ago, Kenmojr said:

What primer did you use?

Loving your thread...

Thanks! I actually used Rustoleum Camouflage Flat Tan for the primer. I got a can for free from our neighbor, so I decided to see how it would work as a primer. It did the job ok enough, but I probably won't use it for that purpose again. It sprayed good and covered smooth enough, but even after drying for a couple of weeks still seemed to soak in the color coats. Their actual primers do pretty well for me, so I'll go back to using them when I happen to not use my go-to Stynylrez Primers.

download.jpg

• Like 1

Not to be “that guy” but I went through all of the research when I did my ‘68 W-30, and found that the 400 engine in the ‘68-‘69 W-30 was painted a bronze color.

Gold was the color used on the 350.

Not that it’s that big of a deal, but if you’re looking for factory correct, it’s something to consider.

As I said, I don’t want to be that guy, but I always appreciated this sort of information during the course of a project, if not to change it this time, at least I would have the information for any future projects.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Not to be “that guy” but I went through all of the research when I did my ‘68 W-30, and found that the 400 engine in the ‘68-‘69 W-30 was painted a bronze color.

Gold was the color used on the 350.

Not that it’s that big of a deal, but if you’re looking for factory correct, it’s something to consider.

As I said, I don’t want to be that guy, but I always appreciated this sort of information during the course of a project, if not to change it this time, at least I would have the information for any future projects.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate the info and will mark it down in my notes as I plan on more Olds builds, especially with Revell's upcoming '71 release. In my Google search, it was hard to get a really good indication as to engine color as gold and bronze/copper seemed to be equally represented.

I spent the day wet-sanding, polishing, and waxing the body. I used Micro Mesh Polishing Pads starting with 4000, then 6000, 8000, and 12000. After that I applied the Novus #2 polish, followed by Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I also finished detailing the wheels and applied the Fireball Modelworks white letter decals. I'll start the Bare Metal Foil tomorrow.

DSCN2115.JPG

DSCN2116.JPG

DSCN2119.JPG

DSCN2113.JPG

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate the info and will mark it down in my notes as I plan on more Olds builds, especially with Revell's upcoming '71 release. In my Google search, it was hard to get a really good indication as to engine color as gold and bronze/copper seemed to be equally represented.

Keep in mind that the engine colors had changed by ‘71.

The bronze engine color was gone by that time.

Steve

• Thanks 1

I got most of the car foiled today. I still have to do the wheel well trim, but I'm not sure if I want to foil it or Molotow Chrome it. I'll probably try the foil and see how it goes, then tape off the trim and use the Molotow if the foil doesn't work out. I got the wheels on the chassis, and installed the engine today as well. I dipped the glass in Pledge, let it dry and glued them in place to sit overnight and hopefully hold in place. Barring a catastrophic screw-up, I should be able to finish it this week.

DSCN2121.JPG

DSCN2123.JPG

DSCN2124.JPG

DSCN2125.JPG

DSCN2129.JPG

• Like 2