Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who makes FS ##### paint these days?

Now that Model Master has slipped into oblivion, what brand of model paint labels their colors with the Federal Spec numbers like MM did? I'm planning to build a few aircraft models and I'm going to need proper colors. I prefer oil base enamel but if acrylics are all I can get, I'll take it.

10 hours ago, customline said:

Now that Model Master has slipped into oblivion, what brand of model paint labels their colors with the Federal Spec numbers like MM did? I'm planning to build a few aircraft models and I'm going to need proper colors. I prefer oil base enamel but if acrylics are all I can get, I'll take it.

Jim, Vallejo has aircraft color sets. Some of these have the FS numbers. I think they are acrylics.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/sets/air-war-en/

I can heartily recommend MRP (Mr Paint). It's an acylic lacquer, very thin, ready for use. I was never happy with my painting results until I found this paint. Here are three examples:

ar234-18.jpg

f84f-057.jpg

aqm34-100.jpg

There's no overview of all ~400 colors on their own site, so I made one myself:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/mrp-list-all.htm

You can also view the 'American colors' only list. I count 96 colors in that range.

Rob

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

on the lower left side of this website there is a converter for paint codes. Its drop down menu but it lists the federal paint codes and their equivlent model paints. Its just a drop down menu so easy to miss but its the bottom box

Can't find it, Leslie. I joined under an "alias" and looked all over the home page. Is it on another page, maybe?

39 minutes ago, customline said:

Can't find it, Leslie. I joined under an "alias" and looked all over the home page. Is it on another page, maybe?

joined? its a shop website so i dont know why you would have to join. are you trying on a phone? I've only ever tried it on a laptop so it might be different on a phone. here a screenshot of what i see on the page

Untitled.jpg

15 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

joined? its a shop website so i dont know why you would have to join. are you trying on a phone? I've only ever tried it on a laptop so it might be different on a phone. here a screenshot of what i see on the page

Untitled.jpg

Oh....THIS website? I thought you sent me to that forum ....oh....that's just your signiture....heh heh heh...☺️....I still don't get it, Les. This is where, specifically? 

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Jim, Vallejo has aircraft color sets. Some of these have the FS numbers. I think they are acrylics.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/sets/air-war-en/

Thanks, Jim, I looked at Vallejo and it's probably what I end up with. Very impressive. I have one of their weathering kits.

1 hour ago, customline said:

Oh....THIS website? I thought you sent me to that forum ....oh....that's just your signiture....heh heh heh...☺️....I still don't get it, Les. This is where, specifically? 

on the left of the page under the model options. its the bottom box.

edit. it turns out i forgot the link, sincerest appologies  its creativemodels.co.uk that has it.

Edited by stitchdup

23 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

edit. it turns out i forgot the link, sincerest appologies  its creativemodels.co.uk that has it.

Yeah, I thought it was something like that 🥴.   Thank you, Les.

12 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

Ugh, I quoted, then went to add a quote and it deleted my original post. So nevermind. I can't delete the screwup, so you get to see this instead.

Oh....don't sweat it, Chad, I do that sort of thing all the time 😅

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

And this post was still there even after I replaced it with an edit. So you get to see two posts I can't delete now.

OK, Chad, now this has to stop! 🤨

IMG_3123.gif.fbaef7bed8aa7b14bb7e5d4afbeb6c00.gif

If that 53 after your name is your birth year...well......I get it 😉, seriously.

Edited by customline
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, robdebie said:

I can heartily recommend MRP (Mr Paint). It's an acylic lacquer, very thin, ready for use. I was never happy with my painting results until I found this paint. Here are three examples:

ar234-18.jpg

f84f-057.jpg

aqm34-100.jpg

There's no overview of all ~400 colors on their own site, so I made one myself:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/mrp-list-all.htm

You can also view the 'American colors' only list. I count 96 colors in that range.

Rob

Good Intel, Rob! Thanks, I shall look into it .

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

OK, I went to that site, found the paint conversion drop-down but when I chose "Federal Standard" it came up "there are no paints to list in this category" 😫

2 hours ago, customline said:

OK, I went to that site, found the paint conversion drop-down but when I chose "Federal Standard" it came up "there are no paints to list in this category" 😫

they do show up for some of the charts in the paint brands. eg if you select model master the chart will show the federal standard but i would go by the ral number. Its the number artist shops use so may open some other paint options in those shops. Some paint mixing systems use the ral number too as thats what each of the individual mixers are numbered with

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

they do show up for some of the charts in the paint brands. eg if you select model master the chart will show the federal standard but i would go by the ral number. Its the number artist shops use so may open some other paint options in those shops. Some paint mixing systems use the ral number too as thats what each of the individual mixers are numbered with

It's making my head hurt. I have two colors to find. I down-loaded the FS color chart. I can get a good idea of what I need from that. Good enough for government work. Thanks for your help, Les.