Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Super Torque Ford

MarkJ

I always liked the advertising campaign for the 1963 Ford. They would play it during replays of Nascar races back in 1963 on ABC's  Wide World of Sports. My buddies and me would get on our bikes after the broadcast and pedal as hard as we could and yell that we were driving Super Torque Fords. Those delayed broadcasts were a big deal to us kids back then.

63fl65.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Johnny Canuck said:

The pre-flared wheel wells should save labor on body work. Wish they were on the '64 I'm working on.

Very true, Johnny. Might not need to do much on this 63. I just need to study my ref pictures.

21 minutes ago, presnell said:

Mark great car they were the top 5 finishers in the 63 Daytona 500. Anxious to see yours finished!

Thanks, Jim. Yes, it was a pretty dominate year for the Super Torque Fords. Chevy got out before they really got started and the Plymouths and Dodges were still 1 year away from the hemi and were pretty underpowered. Pontiac which had been dominate in 62 were heavier and had not increased their power and most of their drivers had switched to the Ford.

Looking forward to see what you do with your build. I have one in the works. I have used the AMT 60 Starliner chassis under the one I'm building. There is a lot of trim that needs to be removed on that body. It is in the paint stage now.  Can not wait to see yours.

Edited by jjsipes

1 hour ago, jjsipes said:

Looking forward to see what you do with your build. I have one in the works. I have used the AMT 60 Starliner chassis under the one I'm building. There is a lot of trim that needs to be removed on that body. It is in the paint stage now.  Can not wait to see yours.

Thanks, Jason. I will be going the one kit way with this model, so I will be removing the molded in exhaust and not worrying about actually having a real chassis.  It will be more a  shelfer than what you are doing using the 60-ford kit with yours. Really looking forward to seeing yours. do you have a wip going on with it?

Got the left quarter panel mostly done. I find its better to complete a section before moving on to the next section instead of hitting all the moldings at the same time. Keeps me from getting overwhelmed.

63fl69.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 12:06 PM, MarkJ said:

Very true, Johnny. Might not need to do much on this 63. I just need to study my ref pictures.

By no means is 1964 my favourite season for racing. Too many bad things happened to so many good racers.

Your WIP build on the Jarrett '64 Ford was very instructive and directed viewers toward seeking out the many more useful reference photos that are out on the internet.

10 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Cool to have a real one, Hakan. The hardest moulding to remove is the one at the base of the roof in the rear by the trunk. got the left side finished

63fl70.jpg

63fl71.jpg

63fl72.jpg

63fl73.jpg

63fl74.jpg

Not hard at all, just a couple of screws and you are done 😋
Ohh you mean on the kit body...I couldn't resist joking around.
Looks good so far.

Thanks, John and Hakan. The only good ref pics I could get for this model were screen shots from a YouTube video of the race the car was in. They were not that clear because of the quality of the video, but I think I will be 90 percent accurate on the livery for this car. I have already done builds of two other cars that were in the race I am speaking of. There is one more car from that race I might want to do but I need to think on it for a while longer. It was one of those milestone races that hangs around in my memory bank.

6 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

The body is looking good. Have you ever done this before?

😃

Yes, Pierre.   On a light purple one a few years back. 😃   But I don't remember the front windshield moulding at the top being as thick as this one is. I'm really looking forward to the pearl white paint job 

I'm going to do on this one with a brush, if I can ever get the body ready, that is. The postman cometh and bringth me gifts.  Thank you so much. I really appreciate it and will return the favor for sure.

The right side of the body is pretty much finished, and I added some rods to the voids in the top of the fenders that I will smooth to fill them in with plastic instead of putty. I reworked the upper windshield weatherstrip to make it look like the chrome moldings are gone. I still need to remove the wiper blades and rework the panel that goes between the taillights. This car actually had the chrome taillights even at the end of the season, but the chrome or aluminum panel between them was gone.

63fl75.jpg

63fl76.jpg

63fl77.jpg