Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found a small wrecker body on the auction site and found the Mobius ramp truck to be a good donor.  Frame will need to be shortened, but that's about all.  The frame is warped, so it's being straightened before I cut it down.  Otherwise, my first Mobius kit is going together well.  Of course, one day after I start Mobius announces almost the same thing coming in a kit.  The wrecker body was supposedly made for an 8' p/u but it looks too wide to me.  The F350 cab looks to be just the right size. 

P1030675.jpg

i dont know if the windshield is like the Mobius F 250 & F 100 but i know on both of them they are a pain to put in. the first one i built the F 250 i never did get it to fit right. so after that build was finished i pulled the f 100 out and got to looking at the windshield and noticed it was to wide. so i took my sanding stick and little by little sanding the sides & testing till i sanded around a 1/16 on each side then it fit right in. i dont know if the F 350 is the same but if it is sand the edges ans round the corners a little and it will save u some choice words..

7 hours ago, yh70 said:

i dont know if the windshield is like the Mobius F 250 & F 100 but i know on both of them they are a pain to put in. the first one i built the F 250 i never did get it to fit right. so after that build was finished i pulled the f 100 out and got to looking at the windshield and noticed it was to wide. so i took my sanding stick and little by little sanding the sides & testing till i sanded around a 1/16 on each side then it fit right in. i dont know if the F 350 is the same but if it is sand the edges ans round the corners a little and it will save u some choice words..

Thanks for the info, I have found the interior tub doesn't fit well to the cab, there is stress somewhere that keeps it from sitting where it should.  I've trimmed almost everything I can see and it's better but still wants to pop out.  Superglue will hold it when the time is right but I never like it when parts are under stress.

• 2 weeks later...

That wrecker body is a re-pop of the Midnite Cowboy wrecker bed and it was 1/24 scale, so it will look big on that 1/25 truck. That kit did not accurately represent a 8 foot bed so it does require some adjustment.

I have a stalled project that uses that same bed, maybe you will inspire me to finish it.

On 5/16/2023 at 9:49 AM, mikemodeler said:

That wrecker body is a re-pop of the Midnite Cowboy wrecker bed and it was 1/24 scale, so it will look big on that 1/25 truck. That kit did not accurately represent a 8 foot bed so it does require some adjustment.

I have a stalled project that uses that same bed, maybe you will inspire me to finish it.

Thanks, I guess that's why it looks better behind a larger cab.  The ramp truck chassis is way too long anyway so it's cut down to the proper length.

I finally got the windshield in.  Instructions say to mount it from the inside, but the sides weren't close to clearing the A pillars.  Cutting them down wasn't an option as that would remove the window gasket area.  The diagram on the instruction sheet shows it going in from the front, which solves the aforementioned problem with the A pillars, but now there is a clearance issue top to bottom.  My solution was to file off most of the retaining lip on the bottom.  I left just enough to grab and didn't ruin the paint on the cab!  It still took a bit of massaging to get it in, but it's in.

The ramp truck kit has both an automatic and manual transmission.  The kit instructions call for the auto but I went with a manual, seems better for a wrecker.  I didn't see a shifter in the kit, seems odd as they included a front drive axle and a second intake/carb/air cleaner amongst other parts not used.

• 2 weeks later...