Model Cars Magazine Forum

Free drag slicks.. Sorta

Hey guys I was sitting in the work truck today and was bored.. I just happened to find a way to make drag slicks.. Let me do a p[ictorial, let me know what you guys think..... Disregard the glue.. just use putty !!... Have fun.. it takes a little practice but overall is very simple...

Tools needed..

(1) Exacto knife

(2) Two water bottle caps

(3) contour putty

(4) desired rim

(5) black spray paint

(6) Sand paper

(7) Thermostat Flat head screw driver

Picture003.jpg

Step one: Take the bottle cap and screw driver.. Picture004.jpg

Press screw driver down on the bottle cap while you rotate the cap...Picture005.jpg

Keep doing this till you have the desired tire wall thickness or rim hight..

Cut out the hole in the center using an Exacto knife.

Picture006.jpg

Pop rim into place Picture008.jpgPicture007.jpg

Repeat process on second bottle cap and then glue them together...Picture010.jpg

Next step is to sand the edge out of the center where the caps meet.. Then paint the caps with out the rim in place of corse.... I thought of this today, don't know if it has been done in the past.. If so I appologize.. If not then I'm happy to help.... These tires are free as long as you drink water bottles... This is also a good way to get us to drink more water LOL

Edited by ProStr33t

Two things:

I don't think model glue will stick to the type of plastic that those caps are made of. When you sand the tread flat to smooth the seam the two caps will likely break apart at the seam.

And what the heck is a "thermostat" screwdriver? :blink:

Needs some refining obviously but its better than having nothing I'm sure. The Screwdriver is basically a small driver for tightening the screws in thermostats on home ACs. some of them can be pretty tight and the lugs the wires go on sometimes are about the size of screws in a diecast model

Sorry guys for the late replies... The waters bottles are the Nestle Pure life water bottles... I have encountered the clue problem also. I'm now using the contour putty.. Much better IMO........ The screw driver is basically just a small flat head.. the head is maybe 1/8 wide.... I'm sure you could use a normal sized one... The sidewall on the tire works out great for me.. I'll post a side by side comparison with an actual drag slick... Also.. Grind the edges off the bottle caps before adhesion :rolleyes:.. Sorry guys.. I was posting the thread as I was experimenting... Will have pics of the finished version soon... I came up with the idea the same day as the Original; Post so.. I am also doing a trial and error here, but I got it figured now.. will re edit the OP..

Edited by ProStr33t

....The only problem I see is Nestle brand water is too expensive....I buy the cheap brand....$3.58 for a 24 pack.....

I take back what I said. I was in Walmart today and saw the Nestle brand water $3 for a 24 pack. I'll be saving the bottle caps for sometime when I feel ambitious! :(

Thanks for posting this idea. I think that this is going to help me out in making some modified asphalt tires. I just have not been able to find the "Just Right" tire for a NASCAR Modified. I think that I can find a bottle cap (Or Two) that would make the perfict one.

Thanks for sharing. Your a pretty smart guys. Now THIS is what makes a message board worth the time.

Matt