Model Cars Magazine Forum

MK1 Mini Roadster...

Guest arni

Something I started yesterday,I decided to do a roadster conversion to a Mini Cooper,the shell before starting.

2ugp6py.jpg

The roof rails were removed and the shell deseamed.

256twti.jpg

Then I made a rear deck from plastic card and cut down a mini roof from the spares box.

ndtqj5.jpg

Deck and roof fitted.

dqm04g.jpg

After some filler it is starting to take shape,lots to do here still.

t0oiv4.jpg

The windshield frame was removed and the scuttle panel sanded down as I will be fitting aero screens.

33lzbx4.jpg

This Mini is going to be rear wheel drive!!! so the 'A' series engine was cut off the box/sump and a Ford four speed box was cut too..The result being a rwd 'A' series engine..

mtm0km.jpg

The floor pan is recieving major surgery,I may cut out the floor panels just leaving the sills/rocker panels and fabricate new floor panels from sheet styrene,it will look much better.

2mnjbk6.jpg

How it looks at the moment..

vfciaf.jpg

Interesting (and challenging) project you've started here. Thank you for posting the photos and information on your build. I'll be following this to the finish. Very cool. :angry:

Cheers Roger. B) It will be a fun ride,so hold on. :D

Very cool idea.

Where I used to live, there was a guy who lived down the street from where I worked and took his mini and made it into a pickup. That's what I thought you were kind of doing at first until I saw the rear cover being put on. I have a very slow computer so it took me a while to see all the pictures. Looking forward to seeing this build.

Something I started yesterday,I decided to do a roadster conversion to a Mini Cooper,the shell before starting.

2ugp6py.jpg

The roof rails were removed and the shell deseamed.

256twti.jpg

Then I made a rear deck from plastic card and cut down a mini roof from the spares box.

ndtqj5.jpg

Deck and roof fitted.

dqm04g.jpg

After some filler it is starting to take shape,lots to do here still.

t0oiv4.jpg

The windshield frame was removed and the scuttle panel sanded down as I will be fitting aero screens.

33lzbx4.jpg

This Mini is going to be rear wheel drive!!! so the 'A' series engine was cut off the box/sump and a Ford four speed box was cut too..The result being a rwd 'A' series engine..

mtm0km.jpg

The floor pan is recieving major surgery,I may cut out the floor panels just leaving the sills/rocker panels and fabricate new floor panels from sheet styrene,it will look much better.

2mnjbk6.jpg

How it looks at the moment..

vfciaf.jpg

dont mine me asking what kit is this cause the shop i go to has a tamiya cooper and i would love to customize one

The original floor pan has been cut out so that the inner floor will have a cleaner look.

15hfw5c.jpg

Then I made and fitted new floor panels.

2l9r6zn.jpg

Next up was to fabricate a new tranny tunnel from thin alloy sheet.

348hq9h.jpg

It is just set in place here to give me an idea on fabricating the lower firewall.

28gugsp.jpg

This is the upper firewall/dash unit from the mini spares box...

2ypbz9t.jpg

The instrument cluster has been cut away and a skin of plastic card fitted,once set it will be sanded smooth on the upper edge.

11io4de.jpg

The engine side has been sanded smooth and will be skinned too,I am going for the basic look on this...So if it isn't needed it wont be fitted.LOL

10e1myb.jpg

The lower firewall has been built up.

2u4o3r9.jpg

Then the alloy tranny tunnel was fitted.

acbvnm.jpg

The dash/upper firewall was fitted.

xqkxgp.jpg

14ne4uv.jpg

Then it was time to make mounting points for the rear axle..

2441ru9.jpg

Some Plastruct U section makes a perfect top mount.

mizced.jpg

All for now..