Model Cars Magazine Forum

replacement motor for 49 merc

Guest Gramps-xrds

I am doing a revell '49 merc and with some unforseen circumstances, the motor was REALLY messed up bad. I've already had to reorder some parts from revell's website, so I can't get anymore free replacement parts. My question is, what motor would fit best in the chassis of the merc?

If you can stick a Hemi in one, you can put anything in it. You might have to use a long shaft transmission though.

Here's one I did yrs ago.

DSCF1408.jpg

DSCF1406.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

it all depends on what style you want for this build

you can stick with the classis ford flathead engine

you can use a ford 427 big block (blown or not)

of (if you want to go with high performance) you can slap in the afore mentioned hemi

but you can also make it look like a budget build and slap in a 6 cylinder

or if you want to get real interesting and go for gasmileage shoot me a PM and we will work out a deal on a ford focus 2 liter 4 banger

zetec.jpg

zetec1.jpg

I bashed together an early hemi for mine, using the block and heads from the Lil Coffin, resin valve covers, scratch built intake, and some other parts box junk. I adapted it to the kit's transmission so I didn't have any issues locating it in the chassis. I did have to remove the molded in battery though...

49merc-11.jpg

49merc-12.jpg

49merc-13.jpg

49merc-14.jpg

Almost anything will fit with some modification. The last 2 I did, I used the Y-Block Ford from the AMT '60 Ford and another using a NASCAR 351 from a donor stock car kit. I have one on the bench now, it has a Dodge 383 in it.

The one in the attached pictures is the 351 in an AMT kit.

Bob

post-199-12625270467867_thumb.jpg

post-199-12625270845606_thumb.jpg

post-199-12625271012386_thumb.jpg

Just about any V-8 you drop in there is cool, but there's nothing on this planet that's cooler than a full-race flathead with four Stromberg 97 carbs on an Edelbrock manifold, Winfield heads, chrome carb scoops, Vertex mag, blued chrome headers, etc.

I stuck the 4.6L from the 1999 Cobra in my Merc. Fit great, even with the twin superchargers on top. B)

IMG_0089-vi.jpg

Here's a couple of ideas:

1. The present generation "Romeo" modular V8 (281) as seen in almost everything FoMoCo lately.

2. How about a Lincoln V12? Just for something a little different.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

I bashed together an early hemi for mine, using the block and heads from the Lil Coffin, resin valve covers, scratch built intake, and some other parts box junk. I adapted it to the kit's transmission so I didn't have any issues locating it in the chassis. I did have to remove the molded in battery though...

49merc-11.jpg

49merc-12.jpg

49merc-13.jpg

49merc-14.jpg

i think i know what i am going to with my hemi now lol