Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors 06 Charger R/T and R/T Daytona

pettyfan43

There are a couple areas that the Revell kit is better (Bottom of hood detail comes to mind);BUT the Testors car is more impressive in several places, the seperate headliner, the seperate headlight buckets and lenses. The Charger does lack in one area, they did not shade the front and rear windows where the black areas should be, BUT the glass fits in from the OUTSIDE instead of the inside so the glkass fits the body flush like the real car is.

The kit is packed VERY well with pieces of Cardboard covering the smaller more fragile parts that could get damaged. They are Not completely the same kit, as are the 1:1 versions, the Dayona has a different grille and the front and rear spoilers. They have cast different parts for the different parts on the 1:1 car. I MUCh prefer the the way Testors handles the headlamp setup versus Revell. Testors gives you a seperate bucket (UNPLATED) and lenses, where the Magnum uses a one piece headlamp unit and you have to paint around the lenses.

The really cool part, is that the Company that makes these kits, JLloyd International, is the parent company of Lindberg, who is to release the SRT8 version of the Charger this year, if it is based on the same tool as these kits, it will be a DEFINITE Must have kit.

The Testors cars are VERY VERY NICE, I am aboiut to get a Daytona together (in Purple or Orange, not sure which yet). I REALLY hope this car builds as well as the Revell car. The Parts count is a good bit higher than the Revell Magnum. I'm looking forward to finding out how they compare as builders.

These kits are a little bit cheaper than the Trumpeter kits and compare favorably from what I have seen (Better proportions and more realistic details). I'm going to find out how well the pretty parts fit together.

I had heard that the Lindberg Charger was going to be based on the same tooling as the Testors kits, glad that we'll get the option to build so many variations. I'm going to get a Daytona, police car, and the Superbee SRT-8 when Lindberg comes out w/it. Thanks for the review 8)

Well, I painted the Charger Daytona today. All I can say is apparently they get their plastic from the same place Revell gets theirs.

BE CAREFUL what you paint these things with, I have no clue what to tell you if you want authentic colors on the car.

I just hope what I have will strip well enough to save the kit. This thing is too expensive to become a pars car.

• 2 years later...

First off, this is my first attempt at a model of this skill level and a Testors plastic model. I love how they has the instructions for this. It has actual pictures of every peice on the tree. Every page has a color chart on it for painting. The packing is amazing with the thought of protecting each piece plus cardboard is used in this progress also. I will have the rest of the review in an in progress thread at a later date. And I have pictures!

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2026.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

here is the body, however I won't be using it as I have a 2 door resin Charger from Time Machine Resins.

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

As I said I will have more in an in progress thread later on so be looking for it!!!

Clay, is this your 1st resin kit? If so, just take your time to prep it. If it's not COMPLETELY clean when you start, or between coats of paint,you may end up with some problems. But for the most part it's just like doin plastic.Oh, remember, ONLY super glues an epoxies. Once ya got the hang of it,theres ALL KINDSA cars out there to build! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Could you explain a bit more on this Clay for us slow learners? This is a resin body in a Testor's kit? Or, am i misunderstanding and you got a resin aftermarket body?

Check out the w.i.p. it has where I got it from in there.