Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where are all the convertables?

I was thinking the other day that AMT used to make convertable versions of just about all their kits such as the 69 chevelle 66 mustang etc. I remember seeing them in my Auto World Catalogs as late as the late 1970's (yes I'm that old) why did they stop reissuing these?

Just take your knife and make your own convertible :rolleyes: You knew this answer was coming sometime :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I did to a 2006 Camaro Concept so I could build the Concept Convertible.

Ok, here is my take on the initial question. The convertibles are out there, but, they may not be as popular as the hard tops. The reason in my opinion is that most modelers like the more mainstream look of the hardtop.

I also don't think that most model builders like putting the time and detail into the interior of a convertible as that is the main focal point of the vehicle itself. In other words, after seeing the shape and color of the car, the next thing to draw your eye is the interior. If the detail is not there (fabric color, textures, dash and hardware) the build is somewhat anticlimactic in it's presentation. B)

With most hardtops, you don't initially see the interior or train your eyes there as the top itself defeats the focal need to see it. You almost have to make a conscious effort to look at the inside to see the interior details. Although this may not be the case with builds having larger glass areas such as a Ford Probe, you still might not initially look as closely at the interior as you would with a convertible.

Strangely enough, on a 1:1 car, it's the second thing that draws one's attention, because you are actually going to occupy that space.

Again, my take on the question, blah, blah, etc., so on and on and on. :blink:

I have honestly been wondering the same thing.. they reissue old kits but they are always hardtops excpet for a fe like the '70 style Challenger. Those are IMHO a nice kit -- I had one done up in Plum Crazy with a white interior and I loved it! I don't know about where all you guys live but there is no dount that Ford made a wise move to bring back the Mustang convertible. Those things are everywhere around here and while I can't be bothered to buy a model of a new, current car, I'd buy a couple of the Mustang kits if they were available in convertible form. I don't like new vehicles - period! I have no desire to have one but those Mustangs in the right colours sure do catch my eye. B)

Proabably because they are hard to keep clean inside.

Maybe sales. I know I wanted a 442 but wasn't intersted in the convert. If that is what I am remembering correctly. Didn't a convert Hurst Olds just come out. See I don't even remember any more.

My wife and I stopped by a local 1:1 car show the other evening and I saw, for the first time in a LOOOONG while, a 1962 Ford Galaxie convertible with a 390 under the hood. White with red interior, red pin stripes and a black soft top. Man, was that car NICE looking and I can remember thinking back in those memory days how I'd like to own one. It would be nice to make a model of that car that I was never able to buy in full scale.

Joe

Edited by rhoadapple

Am I odd, I actually would like to see more 4 doors! Only Jo-Han seemed to make them in the past and as for rag tops, afraid I prefur hardtops as well.

A dream kit would be a 1960 Cadillac 6 window sedan.

John

Yup! Four doors rule! Especially four door hardtops! While I like a good looking convertible, these days they're so common on the streets.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a true four door hardtop on the road---------Detroit abandoned those unfortunately in the '70's. ;)

Hmmm, I always thought the "flat top" four door hardtop looked better on a '60 Cadillac, but that's just me! B)

Government rollover crash standards?

Perhaps, but I would suspect side impact, intrusion, and things like doors popping open to be the bigger problem with a hard top. Also largely going away from full frame probably killed the hard top right there.

Edited by CAL

Am I odd, I actually would like to see more 4 doors! Only Jo-Han seemed to make them in the past and as for rag tops, afraid I prefur hardtops as well.

A dream kit would be a 1960 Cadillac 6 window sedan.

John

I'm with you on the four doors.. I like hardtops and convertibles but there is just something sort of cute and quaint about an old four door sedan or wagon. I saw a '66 Fairlane four door sedan on the road today - what a cutie! Jet black, dog dish hubcaps and really decent paint. It stood out amoung the generic looking anemic jellybean stuff that is produced today. yeah - more four doors and more station wagons - PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Edited by impcon