Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is Wrong With This Build?

charlzrocks

Is this a trick question?Looks custom to me.The rear wheels are a little warped.I'm in the prosses of grinding mine even now. Thats all I can pick out.It does look cool tho.Oh does it need a battery?

Edited by Terror

EVERYTHING!?!?!? :):unsure::unsure:

Seriously, though, it looks nice to me. The only thing I might even see is it kinda looked like the front tires still had a mold seem from the pic.

By the way, Mike, it looks to me like the fuel cell might be right in front of the blower belts.

First a question for you, is this a shelf model or a contest model? That answer determines a lot about my answer.

This is a bit of an unfair question. You see the problem is if you apply the standards of a drag race car, the beginning kit lacks. The frame would weigh a ton and there is no class where such a car could realistically compete. Its too long for a funny car or an altered and would weigh significantly too much for a dragster.

For a show car, it's obviously missing the angel hair.

Back to the original question.....

You could argue it needs more detail but did you enjoy building it? If so, then the model served its purpose. Remember its a hobby.

Mike

Well, from what I can see there's seams left on the front tires, the rear tires are out of shape/roundness, Part of the frame is lying on the ground. The exposed and very visible battery has no detailing, the engine has way too much chrome and no basic plumbing at all, which gives it a very toyish like appearance.

The roll bar is too low to protect the driver, and has a very bumpy and rough finish.. If this was a real and functioning rail, the sharp angular bends in the zoomie pipes isn't going to help engine performance very much.

There's seams left on the rear shocks, but since they are chrome and removing the seams would damage the chrome, I'll let that error slide by...The rear tires stick out a bit too far for my tastes, but that's a preference thing so again, I'll give you a free pass on that one...

The steering wheel and shifter is too close to the seat, so even a midget would likely not be able fit in the cockpit very comfortably.

The fuel cell is a little too close to the engine for my tastes, but that's another preference thing, so no points will be deducted for that...

The tie rod seems a bit too close to the ground to be safe....especially after the weight of the driver is loaded onto the chassis.

The instrument panel gauges are unreadable, so there's no way of knowing what's going on inside the mill if the engine were running.

If the pics were a bit larger and more crisp, I may be able to elaborate a bit more...

Remember, you asked for it, so that's why I'm telling it..

If this is a lab coat experiment in regards to the thread in the general section,I now want my compensation check for volunteering and playing along....Thank you, and good day.

Edited by J. Sauber

Ok gang, the kit was box stock build of an AMT Stingaree with a few modifications.

First.....yes the slicks are thicker toward the frame. If I sanded them to be absolutely flat, there would be no tire left at the frame, that is how bad they were.

Then, yes the front tires have a slight seam showing, to me, not a big deal.

Yes it has a battery. And...the fuel cell is in the frame in front of the engine.

The roll bar was scratch made and yes is too low to provide any protection.

The frame is resting on the ground, again this is due entirely to assembly per kit instructions.

The headers in real life would be pretty useless, but I drilled the ends out anyway to make em look somewhat functional.

The body, sort of a vette funny car would never have fit on the model if assembled per the instructions, I didn't like it anyway so I left it off.

Detailing such as wiring, plumbing and instrument panel detail has been left off as I never do those anyway. The steering wheel that came with the kit, literally in scale would be smaller than a normal butterfly wheel. So I took one from another kit. Driver would have to be flat to fit in the seat due to the wheel. I could have adjusted a few things to make it look more like an altered....nah.....

Almost all of your answers are correct for the most part. But, ya know what, I still think it looks kinda cool myself and it was a fun kit to build despite all it's drawbacks. And it's metallic green cause I wanted to finish off the rattle can!

Thanks and good eyes guys!! :) :) :)

No bubble top and as previously noted, the angel hair is missing. ph34r.gif

Ya know......... I was thinking about a bubble top :) , but ya gotta have a body to put it on, LOL! I guess I've become known for the bubble tops anyway :) . Could look cool with the angel hair, a turntable and lots of mirrors on the undercarriage (if it was detailed enough)!

Edited by charlzrocks

Now I know what the AMT - STINGAREE is going to look like when I put mine together.

When you assemble the front frame area, make sure that the part holding the axle assembly is at a slight downward angle so that the frame don't rest on the ground like mine. Can't wait to see your version! :)

Wait a sec, folks......Nobody attacked anyone here....The TS asked what was possibly wrong with the model...A few of us responded and pointed out some flaws...Simple and to the point...

It was not a degrading and insulting beatdown on the TS..

Let's please not turn this into a pissing match.....

This is the same chassis as the Bug-a-boo VW and the Infiniti-Model T. Overall a reasonably clean build of one of AMT's less stellar efforts. I stand by my question of shelf or contest model. Obviously for a contest model there's a lot wrong with it. Many of these have been mentioned. My first suggestion is dump the kit and start over. It's not a good base to start from. If its a shelf model and you're happy with it and your building experience, enjoy it. Remember there are those who build for contests and those who build for fun. Hopefully you can have fun doing both.

Mike

Wait a sec, folks......Nobody attacked anyone here....The TS asked what was possibly wrong with the model...A few of us responded and pointed out some flaws...Simple and to the point...

It was not a degrading and insulting beatdown on the TS..

Let's please not turn this into a pissing match.....

I retract my earlyer statement ;)