Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is a good method to seal alclad?

Ive learned that if you put anything on top of Alclad it will turn it black or dull it. You may be able to use Pledge Future Im not sure as I havent tried it yet, but I was planing on it soon. as far as sending your parts out theres really no need to do that. I use Alclad to redo intire bumpers, crome trim, and small parts as well every chrome piece on my Chevelle build is Alclad. Just remember to lightly mist your parts dont do a full on spray and you'll get the chrome look your looking for. If you over spray you'll end up with a silver paint job. The trick to using Alclad is knowing when to stop, which is as soon as you see it start to look reflective. Also the bottle will tell you to let the black dry over nite, But I have gotten better results letting the black dry just 15-30 mins then I spray the chrome and then let it dry over nite. I hope this helps you. Romell :)

Sealing over Alclad research is currently under way at Joe's Garage. DO NOT USE PLEDGE FUTURE!!!!!!! It has dulled it worse than anything I have tried so far. I have tried with a few clears, so far the best has been Model Master #4638 Gloss clear ACRL, or MM Metalizer sealer. The meatalizer retains the shine best but doesn't help if you are applying an oil wash, like on a grill. I have heard that Tamiya X-22 works well, That as well as TS-13 will be my next test. Alclad also has their own gloss clear(they made it to replace future since it is no longer sold in Europe, I believe), Alclad does market it as a future replacement. I need to try this out too, I just picked it up.

Here's the Model Master "gloss clear" test. It did dull it, but after the wash it looks nice. I can live with the results but I want better. The search continues...

Alcladonly.jpg

MMclearstillwet.jpg

driedclear.jpg

done.jpg

I will try to be on top of my other tests and post the results.

I've used Alclad and Mirrachrome for several years and have had great luck with it. You don't really want to clear coat over it and if you apply it over the proper base coat, you won't need to anyway. The best base coats for Alclad Chrome that I've tried are Testors gloss enamels, especially black or gray, or Alclad's Glossy Clear Base (ALC 303). The real trick here is to get the surface as smooth and glossy (like glass) as you can before you mist on the Chrome. If you spray the chrome over a black base, you may have to apply it in two sessions or it might look a little dark, like nickel plating. If it's still not quite reflective enough for you, you can use a soft clothh to rub it out a little. This also removes the "dust" that Alclad sometimes leaves on the surface. If you spray this over an enamel or their clear base, you're not very likely to rub the Alclad off, but when I;ve sprayed it over a gloss lacquer base like Tamiya spray-can gloss black, the Alclad is prone to rubbing off.

Another trick I like to do is rub the chromed surface with a little SNJ Polishing Powder (either aluminum or steel) with a soft cloth or a Q-tip and that often adds a little more luster to the chrome. Chroming with Alclad isn't exactly like factory kit chrome plating because the mehtod is sompletely different. However, I think it looks more realistic than factory chrome anyway, and besides it's a lot of fun!

Skip

There isn't a sealer that will protect Alclad chrome and retain the shine. If you really want chrome bumpers, you are better off sending them for plating. I still like Alclad for small parts, but the stuff really doesn't work for me on larger parts like bumpers.

i used it on revells nova for my deathproof build, and it worked great, i has a more realistic look than the plated, thats my opinion