Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jantrix' Jalopy

Jantrix

Well guys it sure feels good to get one in a case. Let me know whatcha think. This isn't my first weathered ride, but it's the most extensive. I learned a lot. I'd like to go back and redo my other weathered models.

Thanks again to Stevens International for the kit and DamnCranky and Ryan Silva for the inspiration.

ChevDone002.jpg

ChevDone005.jpg

ChevDone006.jpg

ChevDone008.jpg

ChevDone007.jpg

More pics here. http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/Jantrix/37%20Chevy/

Sorry for the lousy pics. And as always while taking pictures I see that I forgot my radiator hoses and licence plate. I'll get those on soon and some better pics. Meanwhile let me know whatcha think, all critiques welcome. There are a few things I don't like (mistakes) but all in all I'm real happy with it.

Edited by Jantrix

I think it looks great. I liked the progress shots in your WIP, but seeing it complete, I think it jumped up another notch or two. My dads was also green with some blue peeking through until he got a decent paint job.

I'd add the center bar to the windshield. As a junker, it's not likely that the owner would go to the trouble of putting in a one-piece windshield.

The black steelies and thin whitewalls fit the part well.

Meanwhile let me know whatcha think, all critiques welcome. There are a few things I don't like (mistakes) but all in all I'm real happy with it.

The weathering is cool, but to be honest, it doesn't seem very realistic... because it seems so randomly (and illogically) placed. For example, there are random splotches on the roof and trunk lid, but around the door handle (where there really would be wear over the years) there is almost none. The wear in the finish isn't where you would expect it to be in "real life" and seems to be sort of artificially placed without regard to real-world conditions–where the paint would wear on a real car under real conditions.

Sorry, but you did ask for comments...

The weathering is cool, but to be honest, it doesn't seem very realistic... because it seems so randomly (and illogically) placed. For example, there are random splotches on the roof and trunk lid, but around the door handle (where there really would be wear over the years) there is almost none. The wear in the finish isn't where you would expect it to be in "real life" and seems to be sort of artificially placed without regard to real-world conditions–where the paint would wear on a real car under real conditions.

Sorry, but you did ask for comments...

No need to apologize. When I tried the salt technique, I didn't really get the effect I was after. But I still liked the effect I got. I was too liberal with the salt in areas where it wasn't needed. In other words, you're quite right. But but this won't be my last weathered ride, and just like my Gunslinger 57 and Cherry 2000 Mustang, I learned a lot. My next one will be better. Thanks Harry.

No need to apologize. When I tried the salt technique, I didn't really get the effect I was after. But I still liked the effect I got. I was too liberal with the salt in areas where it wasn't needed. In other words, you're quite right. But but this won't be my last weathered ride, and just like my Gunslinger 57 and Cherry 2000 Mustang, I learned a lot. My next one will be better. Thanks Harry.

Thank you for your response. It's nice to see that we still have members who can take criticism or a comment in the spirit that it was intended, and not as a personal attack.

I think, that weathering looks very nice! And realistic. That colour is nice too and engine detailing looks awesome. I like that Chevrolet badge on the firewall. Like those exhaust pipes too and steelies are looking good on it. Keep on the good work!

Hey I think you are really picking up on the effect of the weathering. I tried the salt on Sub-Urban and another car and couldn't get it. You are quickly going to be another weathering great. I have to ask how did you do your stovebolt logo? Overall the build is nice.

Cool idea, I think it looks ok. But like Harry said, maybe a little off in some places. The exhaust pipe is cool. Wheels look too nice, but I guess "it's a new set put on after it was found" Strange place for the taillights, IN the trunk lid? But then again, you never know what an old customizer was thinking..... :lol:

The stovebolt logo is in the kit, it's a chrome part.

Thanks very much for the ataboys guys. And Hans is quite correct, the Stovebolt bow-tie is from this kit, but I had to sand it big-time to get it to a realistic thickness. Most everything about this kit, screams 'old-tooling'. The plastic is half again as thick as it aughta be. The kit glass = awful. I did the glass out of blister pack material. The only problem is that it isn't as reflective as styrene, so they don't stand out and sometimes look as though there's no glass.

The tail lights were an after thought. Body was painted etc. I hate the stock tail lights and there really isn't a great surface for mounting a larger lamp except the trunk lid. The rear fenders are more narrow than the Fords of the time.

The wheels. My thought on the car was this. An old car guy passes away and this old custom is found in his barn under a mountain of hay bales and what not. Sold at an estate auction, the new owner replaces the tires, hoses etc, rebuilds the carbs, replaces the fuel pump and gets it rolling again. Maybe throws a little Rustoleum on the rims. Also this sort of thing is popular in the rat rod community right now. The car can look like heck, but the wheels and tires are perfect.

Thanks for all the ataboys on the exhaust. Since it is a inline six, I wanted single exhaust (the kit comes with split headers too) and to make it a focal point of the build.

Harry, Mark thanks very much. I take pride in my work and it's important to me to get better every time I sit down at the hobby table. I can't do that without feedback. And I'll learn more from critisism about what could be done better. Someday I'd like to attend an NNL, and really feel like my work belongs there with the best builders in the world. :)

Edited by Jantrix

Overall, I like it! A nice, well built subject. As you said, I have also seen a lot of rat rods with new running gear. Makes a nice contrast.

Some good points have been made regarding the weathering. A really good source for weathering reference is the Flickr site. This is a favorite of mine: http://www.flickr.com/groups/rusty_old_cars/

I have found that site to be an invaluable source of pictures of weathered anythings.

I like weathered cars, are you going to do another?

I would be a happy camper if I had a real one like that.

I can see it now, A whiye Pearl paint job, rolled and pleated interior, and a 289 engine.

Gotta think of gas mileage.

I like weathered cars, are you going to do another?

Chuck, my next planned weathered ride is a '69 Cougar what will be done up in that classic 70's beater fashion. Rusted rockers and quarters. Mismatched fenders. Jacked rear suspension. It'll be seriously tacky now, but we thought it was cool then. It's a couple builds down the list so not quite sure when it'll happen.

Chuck, my next planned weathered ride is a '69 Cougar what will be done up in that classic 70's beater fashion. Rusted rockers and quarters. Mismatched fenders. Jacked rear suspension. It'll be seriously tacky now, but we thought it was cool then. It's a couple builds down the list so not quite sure when it'll happen.

Don't forget the "Cherry Bombs"... ;)

Okay- NOW it's finished.

I took care of the coolant hoses and the licence plate. And then I get a bit irked at the open space on the passenger side of the engine bay. The drivers side has so much going on that the other side looks empty by comparison. So I build a battery shelf and added that to fill in the negative space. I'm happy now. My sense of balanced has been appreased and all is right with the world. She is done.

002-3.jpg

NOTE- didn't use those wires. Too big.

003.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg