Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Moebius Lonestar

I'm going to start building the trailer here very soon, I need to get some true measurements of the real reefer I want to build and than I will be on to building my own custom 48' with 8' spread.

Chad

What type of measurements do you need, the reefer unit or trailer? If it is for the reefer unit, depending on the unit you want to replicate, there are resin reefer units you could get. I think Kit Form Services offer these units, and they have both modern Thermo King and modern Carrier units.

yeah Art that's me. wierd how people grow up. I joined the military about 3 1/2 years ago and now live in va beach with my wife and kid( 16 months ). I have a 1/1 scale f350 that is my main hobby, I build that for the most part and build models every now and than( haven't built one in almost a year ) and want to build one here pretty soon.

the main measurements I need for the trailer are things like the siding and length and also the distance between axles and that sort of thing, I want to completely scratchbuild everything.

Chad

I have already told my wife I will be buying 3 or 4 of these to build in different renditions of the truck. I'm going to start building the trailer here very soon, I need to get some true measurements of the real reefer I want to build and than I will be on to building my own custom 48' with 8' spread. all black absolutely no chrome whatsoever...and than building one of these bad boys stretched to a 300" wheelbase to pull it.

Chad

i73ali.jpg

Hi Chad,

The kit will be produced in China, Moebius Models is based in Deland Florida, but I work out of my home in Mishawaka...

With computers and e-mail I can do my job just about anywhere that I can set up my computer.

Dave

Deland! I use to live in Orlando.

• 2 weeks later...

We're still working on the mock-up - making corrections and adding a few items that were missing on the mock-up.

If all goes well the mock-up should be shipped to me in the next couple weeks, then it'll take a trip to visit the guys at Navistar for their in person review.

If it passes muster with Navistar it goes back to China and tooling starts...

You can figure for about 90 days from start of tooling to 1st test shot another 45-60 days from 1st test shot to start of production and 30 days or so from start of production till it ships out of Hong Kong - about 20 days on the water and another 10-days - 2weeks thru customs -to wholesalers and shipment begins to retailers.....

I'm saying finished product on store shelves - Mid to late February 2011....

This is only an ESTIMATE... schedules are subject to slippage along the way! We may get it done quicker or it might take a bit longer....I can probably tell you more in about 120 days - after I have the first set of test shots in my hands!

This is a big project for us and we want it to be right, so all I can say for right now is please be patient, we're going as fast as we can without taking any short cuts along the way...

Dave

Edited by Dave Metzner

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the update on the release date on the kit. It is also great to hear that you would rather take your time and get this kit right even if it means pushing the release date back rather than just pushin' it out asap for sales sake.

Keep up the good work and Thanks in advance for a new truck kit which I hope is just the first of many.

I'm from Orlando (actually Kissimmee and St.Cloud). I have passed through Deland I can't count how many times. They used to have a car cruise at the Burger King on Friday nights.

But back on topic........I will be glad to see this kit released. If it sells well, maybe it will signal the model companies that an all-new subject WILL sell.

We're still working on the mock-up - making corrections and adding a few items that were missing on the mock-up.

If all goes well the mock-up should be shipped to me in the next couple weeks, then it'll take a trip to visit the guys at Navistar for their in person review.

If it passes muster with Navistar it goes back to China and tooling starts...

You can figure for about 90 days from start of tooling to 1st test shot another 45-60 days from 1st test shot to start of production and 30 days or so from start of production till it ships out of Hong Kong - about 20 days on the water and another 10-days - 2weeks thru customs -to wholesalers and shipment begins to retailers.....

I'm saying finished product on store shelves - Mid to late February 2011....

This is only an ESTIMATE... schedules are subject to slippage along the way! We may get it done quicker or it might take a bit longer....I can probably tell you more in about 120 days - after I have the first set of test shots in my hands!

This is a big project for us and we want it to be right, so all I can say for right now is please be patient, we're going as fast as we can without taking any short cuts along the way...

Dave

Hello Dave

Thank you for the update and your honesty. I was eyeballing Mach personally. So it will be in that neigbourhood.

I cannot beleive we are getting this kind of information from a manufacturer.

Continue to keep us informed please it is greatly appreciated.

Best regards Daniel Gailloux

When visiting my daughter some time back Ihad the opertuity to look over a new Lonestar at a dealership down the street from her I wil say I have always beena Pete KW and Ford truck man but if I was to get backinto driveing I think it would be in the Lonestar when Volvo introed thier new VN series Ihad the opertunity to see the one where I worked at ordered being built from stat to finish at the plant herein Va Iam now waiting on a brochuer on the Lonenstar from International to add to my files of other Trucks

This kit will have conventional dual wheels on the drive axles...We'll see what we can come up with in future kits for wheels and tires...

Dave

Thanks for the info, Dave. If I make a suggestion, though, if you do have super singles in any future kits, please have them as an option. I personally have never liked the super singles, being a truck driver, I like to know I have the security of two tires so if one blows, I can limp the remaining 17 to the nearest exit or truck stop. I also think having both the duals and super singles in the kit would also be useful in conversions, as the duals could be used as the standard axles and the optional super singles would be useful for heavy haul lift axle conversions.

This kit will have conventional dual wheels on the drive axles...We'll see what we can come up with in future kits for wheels and tires...

Dave

There are after market options of numerous wheel variations. Your next kit if this one is successful must be a modern reefer trailer just like this one!

20f2bv7.jpg