Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Pontiac GTO

charlie8575

Well....I thought I'd never see this. Especially in this point in my life.

I've finished two models in less than a week. For getting back in, they came out decent, too. Not great, but acceptable to me. Sometimes, you have to accept "okay."

This subject in question is a Revell 1966 Pontiac GTO.

Pros: VERY accurate. Lots of details, looks really nice when it's done.

Cons: Locator pins don't work well for a lot of the parts I found, too many separate details with no secure anchoring, some things that were molded separarely could probably have been done as one piece with little or sacrifice (the side-view mirror coming to mind.)

The biggest headaches I encountered:

1. One tailpipe won't stay glued with any type of adhesive.

2. The rear suspension locater tabs are near-useless if you paint the suspension and chassis-plate. However, failure to do so prior to assembly renders painting an impossibility.

3. The front bumper/grille asembly was warped slightly, and no amount of coaxing could gain total conformity.

Despite that, I'd definitely buy another one of these kits, and this has a GREAT chassis that would be useful under a lot of 1964-'67 A-body builds.

Without further adieu, and with the Caprice as the stand for outside pictures.... I'll try and do one or two more tomorrow in brighter light. I'm also trying to get the hang of this little digital camera my dad has. For giggles, I might do one or two inside as well for a little extra light.

DSCF0321.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

DSCF0320.jpg

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Looking good. That camera is really searching for something to focus on, it did hit it on the inside ones. The focus may have had trouble with finding good contrast on the outside ones.. all that blue in the middle of the image. They can be tricky on auto focus.

Very nice GTO. But I have a good "trick" to get better pictures. Use background. White is the best, but if the model is white, then use black one. When there is background which is only one color, it's easier to get focused pictures. Also use Super Macro. It's marked with a small flower to some place. That's very good option BUT. You must get something, where you can shore up the camera. For example model box is very good for it. That's the way, I get good pictures, so that would be good to you too. And of course remember good light, then pictures are great! :D

looks good and the colour suits it really well

little tip on parts that wont stay on (at least, what i do)

drill a small hole in the part that wont stay and in an adjecent part (in this case the pipe and the frame)

the put a drop of super glue in both hole and insert a little piece of metal (maybe a part of a paperclip) into both hole

i use this trick a lot when scratchbuilding stuff that isnt perfect :o