Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT White Western Star self loader logging truck

I finally finished this monster after 8 months tonight. It's actually a rebuild of the yellow truck in the first picture. I never liked how it came out so I essentially ripped it apart and rebuilt it from the frame up. I scratch built the self loading equipment which all works like the real thing. I had my dad Muleskinner on this forum make me up a set of working grapples for it. I stretched the frame 5' in front of the drivers and added chrome Budd 10 holes all the way around.

I used an AMT Peerless log trailer with a shortened reach, and modified the trailer suspension so it would sit right on the truck. I made the trailer hitch/hoist from Evergreen styrene and used small dia. vinyl tubing throughout.

Both the truck and trailer were painted white, and then the white stripes were masked off and the whole truck was sprayed Tamiya linoleum deck brown and gloss coated. I made up the Cascade Logging decals on the computer. It was nice to finish it as I kept getting frustrated and putting it back on the shelf.

P1010154.jpg

P1010155.jpg

P1010052.jpg

P1010053.jpg

Cheers:

Bill

more pics:

P1010054.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010056.jpg

Thanks guys:

It was a fun but frustrating project. Mathew, for the most part I think the Western Stars of the early 70's looked essentially the same. I took the AMT kit for a 73, as its about when it came out. I've always loved the Western Stars of the early 70's, they look tough.

Cheers:

Bill

Mathew, for the most part I think the Western Stars of the early 70's looked essentially the same. I took the AMT kit for a 73, as its about when it came out. I've always loved the Western Stars of the early 70's, they look tough.

Thanks for the info, Bill. Now I just hope this is one AMT reissues! :lol:

It's supposed to be issued again this year Matt. I saw a little blurb on Round2's website.

Cheers:

Bill

Really!?!? I really hope that's right, I could finally build the wrecker I drove, now to do some research on the NRC body it had. Unfortunately I can't get pics of it anymore, after I quit working there, one of the other drivers burned up the brakes and flipped it at the bottom of the hill not more than a mile from the shop, and as it flipped and came around the curve at the bottom of that hill, the nose of it went through the front of a bar. It just so happened the owner of the company fequented that bar after work, but not after that! :D:D