Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Derrick... Thanks buddy for the words of encouragement and for following along.

Scott.... Thanks Brother!! Ohh i have a surprise for you with the pics I will be posting. Also I go those parts drawn up. I just need to to dimension them and save out as .dxf for you. Thank you for being patient.

Shane.... Thanks man. Means a lot saying that about this build.

Ok Fellas... I know this has been long awaited but I was able to get some paint on some parts yesterday and had to finish a few off tonight when I got home. I can't tell you how stoked I am to haves some parts finally painted. I am happy with how most of it turned out but One of the items that I will be redoing is the oil pan. I had some pieces of lint that got into the paint and there is a spot that you can see that some how I didn't get an even coat on the bottom so I am going to sand back down and redo but really happy spraying Alclad on it. I don't have it show but i got the calipers painted a Steel color from alclad that I am very happy with and the black and silver are house of Kolors base paints, sprayed with only base on them. and then I threw some innercoat clear with flattening agent in over them. Also I have started painting some of the RB motion fitting with tamiya Clear red and Clear blue mixed ans sprayed with my airbrush. Hope you all enjoy the pics. I will try to get one of the rear end mocked up as well and add in a bit. I also got the disks glued to the hubs and my test run for the line. Now time to bend the line out of music wire.

Here is the parts I was able get sprayed other than the calipers missing from this picture:

2v2uJyijPxAhe9C.jpg

Here are the RB Motion fitting painted to color:

2v2uJyi8kxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Gabriel... Thank you man. It has definitely has a new level of excitement that's for sure.

Scott.... Thank you man.To be honest. I really didn't prep the fittings any certain way. I just stuck them on tooth pics and painted away. These are all of the ones that I have been using for my mock ups. I have always had good luck just painting them.

Art..... Thanks buddy. You and me both on seeing paint on them. I feel I have hit that first milestone... :lol:

Ok Well I had to go mock the rear end up for a few teaser pics for all of you. Don't mind that the disk's are still not done I need to paint the edge all the way around. Also the brake line is my mocked up line and i will be bending one out of music wire since I want this one to be nice and straight and not wire off a spool. I did see a few blemishes in the rear end where I may go ahead and repaint it again but we will see. but then again knowing me. If I don't redo it I know it will eat at me... haha :lol:

Front View:

2v2uJyD2mxAhe9C.jpg

Rear View:

2v2uJyizDxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Very nice Rear End! Absolutely awesome work, Chris. I hope I can build this high quality some day too. It looks like real part to me, but because of the background I have to believe that it really is a Model. :blink:

Is it time to get my JungleJim Vega on the bench too, this inspires me that much.... :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!! I wanted to say thanks again for all of the kind words. Sorry I have been away from this build for about 2 weeks and haven't had time to work on it. I finally sat down for a bit tonight and worked more on my rear brake lines. I worked on this for probably 3 hours or more tonight bending and re-bending wire only to re-bend once again :lol: . I finally got an end result that I am happy with. So I started out with .015" Steel Music wire as well as .015" guitar string. The guitar string had more of a chrome like finish since it had a plating on it and the bare steel music wire seemed to look a little more like Stainless tubing. Let me share with you a little of this adventure tonight. In my first pic you will see that I went thru quite a few trials before I got something to work LOL.

In this first pic was my many attempts at bending this wire in one shot. I first started with the idea of having the tubing bend in a half circle around the back part of the rear end only to find that I was not able to get a great half bend. So I then changed it up in bends with straight sections:

2v2uJyDJixAhe9C.jpg

Here is what I ended up with after I was happy and tired of redoing this line:

2v2uJyD9hxAhe9C.jpg

Here is a view from the back:

2v2uJyDukxAhe9C.jpg

Up close Left side:

2v2uJyD3TxAhe9C.jpg

Up Close right side:

2v2uJyDUVxAhe9C.jpg

Now the kicker to all of this....After I had this done I didn't pay attention and then when I was starting to take pics I realized that I forgot to put my T-Fitting along with the RB-Motion fittings on before I made my bends on the right hand side. So now I am contemplating on what do do. Either. I re-bend a whole new brake line again or do I cut this brake line and put my fittings where I cut the line. Which would you choose to do?? Thanks guys. Hoping to have more for you Tomorrow.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bill... Practice makes perfect right?? LOL ;):lol:

Jim... You know I still need to add caliper bleeders to it. I need to check with Robert at RB motion. He has them in 1/12, 1/24 and 1/8th scale but none 1/16th scale. I was thinking of checking how big the 1/12 and 1/24 are see if i could possibly use them but If I can get Robert to make them in 1/16th I will go that route

Well Fellas.... I am stoked to say that I have redone my brake line and happy I re-bent it rather than cut and spliced the T-fitting in it. Here is a quick pic and hoping to get some more done on it tonight.

2v2uJyDH4xAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs