Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Very very nice. Love all the little details. And such a clean workbench, that's why the workmanship is so neat.

Explains my builds the roflmao.

Wow Chris, you've surpassed yourself again and left the majority of us behind in the burnout box, great work bud, great great work.

Modelfreak.. Yep I am a Vikings fan. I am originally from California but my Grandpa is from North Dakota close to the Canadian border and not too far from Minnesota. the Vikings were his team and they became mine. Thanks for the kind words on this build. Like you I can't wait to see this painted as well :D

Danno... Thanks buddy

Bill... Thank you.

Scott.... Dave is just an awesome guy!! I can't say enough good things about him. We are blessed to have a guy like him here, He is so helpful and willing to take the time to answer your questions. Thanks for the props on the car. I am trying to add detail to every thing possible on this build.

Tyrone... Thanks bud!! I am trying ;) . this will be my best build to date.

Henry... Thanks man!

Richard... Thanks man.

Kane... Thanks man.... well you didn't see what the bench looked like before I cleaned it... :lol:

Brett... you are funny!! Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I feel I am in the burnout box when you all are at the starting line :lol: . I can't tell you how bad I want to get some paint on this engine.

Well guys no new updates as of yet. I haven't been able to get any time at the bench the past few days. I still have some little details to knock out on this oil pump then it will be ready for primer, then it will be time to move onto the next engine part which i will probably be doing a little clean up work on the block filling some pin holes as well as I need to finish up the clean up work on my oil pan after having moved one of fittings from my original location. Hopefully soon I will have some updates. Thanks for following along everyone!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys.... just want you to know I am still alive and kicking....lol I haven't gotten much done on this lately but was hoping to maybe get a little time in this week and get some updates for everyone. I am seriously starting to have with drawls from not getting any bench time....lol if I am lucky I may get to work a little on it tonight but not crossing my fingers.

Hey Guys.... Thanks for all being patient with me on this build. I have a tiny update from a little and I mean very little that I have gotten to do this past week. and I am hoping to get some time in this weekend on this build. I am having major withdrawals on this build.

I got some initial primer on the oil pump to see some areas that I will need to add some bondo:

2v2uJyPDDxAhe9C.jpg

Another View:

2v2uJyP44xAhe9C.jpg

Then I started by filling in the main hole I was using for mounting purposes and drill a few holes in the body for some bolts:

2v2uJyPCkxAhe9C.jpg

since these pics I have added some more bondo on this oil pump which I need to sand off and then it will be time for more primer. and hopefully after that the next thing is for it to be ready for paint. I will be getting back to the bench a little today and tomorrow so I hope to have some more pics up soon for you guys.

Edited by Mooneyzs

I got a little more bench time in tonight. I got the oil pump primered and little bit left to sand and then It is ready. So I focused on redoing my front motor mounts since the original ones weren't quite right. I am pretty happy with how they turned out tonight other than I just need to trim a little more off of them and then they will be good to go. But most likely I will be taking these patterns and putting them on brass strips that way the brackets will be a little stronger. Anyway here are some pics of them.....

Right Side Bracket:

2v2uJyP5ixAhe9C.jpg

Left Side Bracket:

2v2uJyPr4xAhe9C.jpg

Front View, Keep in mind that I will be trimming a little off of each side so that the bracket won't over hang the chassis so much:

2v2uJyPMRxAhe9C.jpg

Here is two views to show that I have the engine block in supported by the motor mounts with the Scale hardware bolts in place, testing that they all hold like I wanted:

2v2uJyk2kxAhe9C.jpg

2v2uJykvDxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Richard.... thanks man. I am really pleased with this 2nd round of front motor mouns and how they turned out. i keep debating if i should make them out of brass or not.

Mike... thanks buddy. i appreciate your support.

I apologize that I havent gotten more done on this to share. i have had a few things going on in my life and havent had much bench time lately.

Your new mounts look great, Chris. It would seem that there are two or three questions that will determine your decision as to whether or not do them in brass: 1) will the plate be more in scale if it is (~.016" thick if 1/4" in 1:1); 2) if done in brass, what does that do to affect the scale of your motor mounts as compared to all the plates you've made, which I'm sure is .016"; 3) how much work will it be to have brass ones turn as out as nicely as your styrene ones? Whatever you choose to do, I know it'll be the right choice.

Henry.....I am with you on this one, I think I will be happier with them made from brass.

Dave.... It sure means a lot with you saying that. Very encouraging to say the least. I have to thank you again for all of your help you have provided me so far. It has helped me to be able to make some of the parts that I have.

Scott...Thank you bud!!....I believe the plate would be a little more in scale going the brass route. Currently I made the mounts out of .020" thick evergreen styrene and the brass I was going to use is .016" thick K&S stock. I don't think it will be really hard at all to make them out of brass now and think i did all of the hard work making the ones out of plastic figuring everything out. I would take the ones I have already made Transfer drill the holes to the brass and then basically trace the plastic ones with a sharpie and then cut out with my dremel and or razor saw and then use my sanding boards and files to clean it up. Then I am thinking of using some of the Blacken-It from Micro Marks to see how well it turns the brass black. wondering if it would look a little more realistic than paint.

Brad.... Thanks buddy!!! I couldn't agree more that they would look better once trimmed. Hoping to have something more for you guys soon.