Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Rom... Thanks man.... I wish I could move a little faster on this but have been a little slow lately....lol

Brad... thanks buddy.

Bill.... I think you would give me a run for my money man. That rail you are building is outstanding. especially with all of the pieces you are turning yourself. I can't wait to get a lathe one of these days. Its on my wish list.... :lol:

Mike.... thanks man.

Gabe... thank you man... you are totally right about that statement. i don't want to rush it at all but am anxious to get some paint on this engine

Scott.... thank you sir. I am looking forward to adding some of your parts to this build once you get them done.

Hello Guys.... got a very small update to show you. was able to finally sit down for a few since I haven't touched this since almost a week ago. But I can't wait for the weekend, I have a 3 day weekend and will be spending most of it working on this build.

Well I started out the night with one of Pro Tech's part # MCLS-18 Dual Remote Oil Filter with filters set. One thing I noticed with the space I was going to be putting this it seemed a little longer than the room I had. So I decided I was going to cut some of it out to shorten it an glue it back together to be able to fit the package it needed to be in:

2v2uJysrBxAhe9C.jpg

After getting the pieces cut, I laid down a piece of wax paper and then proceeded to glue the two halves back together with the Green bottle of Zap a Gap super glue. I made sure to line things up straight and then added my glue:

2v2uJysj6xAhe9C.jpg

Then I had to redo the shaft that I made for the Idler pulley. I first started out by cutting the old shaft off and then redrilling the hole for the rod. Once I got the rod and tube made, I drilled and tapped the shaft for the bolt hardware. Added the Pulley and screwed the bolt in for a test fit:

2v2uJys8txAhe9C.jpg

Well I am off to head back to the bench to try and get a couple more things done for the night on this.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks guys.... i know it wasnt much of an update but felt good to be back at the bench. I am looking forward to working on it tonight. I will be drilling holes in the oil filter base for the fittings. working more on the manifold fixing the rear injector lines and then going to start working on new front motor mount plates.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hello All.... sat down tonight and focused more on the oil filter set up for this build. For some reason seemed like I spent alot more time on this than I thought it would take....maybe it was because I was watching a recorded drag race from a couple weeks ago :unsure::lol:. I seemed to watch more of the race than build...haha. I guess It will be good that I am going to be cleaning the rest of my hobby room this weekend because then I won't have the TV in there to distract me from building...lol

Started out with drilling holes in the oil filter housing for the fittings that I will be using for the build:

2v2uJysMYxAhe9C.jpg

Next I positioned the oil filters where I wanted them to sit up against the housing and then transfer drilled the holes into the filters with my pin vise:

2v2uJysz7xAhe9C.jpg

Once I was done with that I started to work on the RB Motion A/N fittings for this. Took me a few attempts to get the rod bent to the correct angle that I was looking for:

2v2uJyP2sxAhe9C.jpg

After finishing up on the fittings it was time to shoot some primer on the housing to see how it looked from when I glued the halves together. They turned out pretty good other than a couple of spots that I need to sand down and add a little body filler too. Once I do that, I will shoot some more primer and should be ready for paint:

2v2uJyP3PxAhe9C.jpg

I couldn't resist mocking it all up together to get an idea of how it will look. I am ready to paint all of the parts but I need to finish the prep work on them:

2v2uJyPvkxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Guys... thanks for all of the kind comments. they are much appreciated. Gonna get to working more on this so Hopefully I will have some more updates for you in a while...

Bart.... you know if I had my Sherline lathe that I want oh so bad.... I would machine a groove in them and at O-rings for the rubber gasket seal... :P:lol:

Ok time to go work on this build.....stay tuned B)

Joe... thanks man. I am glad you are able to learn some stuff from my build because I know I have learned a few things from your pro mod build. Its one thing I love about this place is we all can learn from one another to become better builders.

Ok so.... for 2 hours tonight I have been tinkering with this oil filter mounting bracket, it was being a pain. It took me a few try's to get the bracket bent the way I wanted to. I first started out with printing plate and basically wrapping it around 3/32" tube to get the ruff shape. Once I had the rough shape I had to trim some of it down and sand the corners to have that rounded look. Then I had to figure out how am I going to attach this bracket to the oil filter housing. Now that I pretty much have it done just a little more clean up to do on it. I had no idea it was going to take me so long but I wanted it perfect so I kept messing with it. Now I am unsure if I should go ahead and glue the bracket to the housing since all of this is going to be painted with chrome alclad

Here is the pic of the filter housing and bracket, don't mind that the bracket looks like it doesn't sit flush with the chassis or the oil filter housing. I was trying to balance it in place for the picture:

2v2uJyP96xAhe9C.jpg

If you take a close look you can see that the oil filter housing has a push button quick release pin that holds it in place, and yes I am going to attempt to make it too...... yes I am nuts.... :lol:

2v2uJtB7WxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs