Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Ok Guys.... I have a little small update to show you on the brass motor mounts.....

First off I wanted to show you that I trimmed more of the plastic motor mounts down a little before using them as templates to create the brass ones:

2v2uJykU4xAhe9C.jpg

I first started out by tracing the plastic motor mount on to brass. I took a blue sharpie and colored the brass and then used a straight edge and plastic piece to square up my brass and the motor mount. I proceeded to trace the motor mount by using the back of my xacto knife and scribed into the brass. Then once I had the brass scribed with the outline I then tranfer drilled the holes:

2v2uJykJSxAhe9C.jpg

I sorta forgot to take a few pics in between the last pic and what I am showing here:

2v2uJykakxAhe9C.jpg

Once I was done with final cutting and sanding here is my new motor mount out of .016" thick brass:

2v2uJykQ4xAhe9C.jpg

Here is a mock up of the motor mount with one brass and one plastic. I now need to do the other side which I think should go a lot quicker this time:

2v2uJykeixAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hello Everyone!!! Thanks for all of the wonderful comments and support. Sorry I havent veen around much. I have had family in town this past week for my bday and am hoping to get a little bench time in tonight. I want to finish up that other front motor mount bracket. I have been itching to work on this build. thanks again for following along with me on what seems like a long journey on this build.

Hey Art.... thanks for the Bday wishes.

well guys I got a little bench time in last night and I was able to finish the other front motor moint plate. I wasnt able to get pics of it up last night and will do when I get home. Feels great to have them finally done. now I cam move on to fixing a few other things lol..... like making a new mid-plate. hopefully I cam get trucking on this.again and make some good progress.

Hey Brad and Scott... thank you for the Bday wishes. I also apologize that I didn't get these few pics uploaded last night like I said I was.

I finally finished up the front motor mounts on this and I am so glad to have that monkey off my back. All I need to do now is use some of micro marks Blacken-It on the brass. I am going to test a few sample pieces of brass and see how it turns out and if I am happy with the way it looks then I will do the motor mounts instead of having to paint them. Anyway here are a few pics to show you guys the finished motor mounts.

This first pic is just to show that these motor mounts were all hand made by using my xacto razor saw and pin vise as well as using my plastic mounts as templates. Here is was using a sanding stick to sand the burs off the edges:

2v2uJyk1SxAhe9C.jpg

The finished right hand side mount finally:

2v2uJyk7VxAhe9C.jpg

Front view of the finished Front Motor Mounts:

2v2uJyktTxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Henry... Thank you

Joe... Thanks Bud!

Scott... Thanks bud... Been Trying to work with that blacken-it .... will show my results with some pics

Ray... Thank you so much for the kind words on my craftsmanship.

Tyrone.... Thanks man... I need to hurry up and finish this so I can join you all with a pro mod build...lol

Richard... Thanks man. The results weren't as great as I was hoping. I have pics that will show my samples.

Gabriel... I have tried both ways non sanding and sanding the brass to see if the results were any different.

Derrick... Welcome back man and thanks for the kind words. this build is plugging along but not as fast as I would like. That is awesome to hear about the new house and model room.

Dave.... Thanks Bud!! Its much appreciated.

Ok guys well I have been having a little bit of a hard time getting motivated lately for some reason but I messed around with some sample pieces of brass with the Blacken-It with what I would call a poor turn out. I tried it the way the instructions said to by leaving the part soak in the solution for 30 to 90 seconds. then I even did some from 5 to 10 to 15 mins just to see what would happen. It didn't get as dark as I was hoping but then regardless of which time method I tried after a little while or a day I went back to sorta rub the piece with a towel and some of the coating actually came off. Not sure if I am doing something wrong but it looks like I may have to end up painting these pieces. Here is the results from my tests....

Side one of the testing.... some of the black looks really nice but then you can see the areas that came off:

2v2uJykDYxAhe9C.jpg

Here are the same parts flipped over to the opposite side with the same result:

2v2uJykmRxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

i have a question chris. please don't think i'm being rude but, why didn't you make them out of aluminum? that's what the real ones would have been. you may have already answered this earlier and i missed it. i don't know.

Dave... I don't think it's rude at all to ask that question. You know I am not sure why I just didn't make it out of Aluminum. I think I went with the brass because I wanted to try the Blacken-It out and it said it won't work on Aluminum. Plus I didn't know of any time of home Anodize kits out there. I probably would of been better off making them from aluminum...lol