Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Great work Chris.
I have done injector lines hand bent from stainless wire on a 1:24th model, both under the bird catcher and blower, and that was pretty hard to get to look right, as it was a much smaller model it wasn't as detailed as yours.

Edited by Force

Hakan... Thank you very much. You know how much of a pain in the but it is to get everything  lined up when doing the Injector and manifold lines. I still have to redo all of the Manifold lines because what I have done so far doesn't look right...lol

Brad... Hey man I have bad news, I don't have an update yet for you guys. The weather sorta spoiled my plans today. I was going to get all of the fuel fittings and things painted but with it raining off and on all day. that threw a wrench in things. I really didn't get much time at the bench like I wanted to but I still have 3 more fittings to fab up and then I will have all the fittings and things ready for paint for the Fuel and Oil systems. So hope fully maybe one day this week I will get to break the air brush out.

Dave S.... thank you very much. It was fun getting those lines and fittings together. I just want to get them painted to see what it will look like all together.  One of these days I sure hope to get a Mill.

Dave R.... Tha k so much my friend. Things are moving at a very slow pace for me right now. Hope to get more work done soon on things.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy.... Thank you very much my friend. I tried a different way with soldering these items this time. I decided that I would try and shave small pieces of solder and drop them in instead of feeding the solder to the joints. I found That I am able to use way less solder and that way there is really no clean up required at all.

Brad... I had family in town for a few weeks and was finally able to get back to the bench.

Alright Fellas.... I was finally able to get back to the bench this weekend and make some more progress on this build. I was dreading doing more work to the fittings but It is work that had to be done as far as trimming them down and getting everything prepped and ready for paint. I spend more hours than I thought trimming and getting things ready but after all of the work I was able to get paint on those little suckers. Here is what it all looks like now....

Well first I started back on these fittings by breaking everything down and marking where it would go along with a number system so I would know what was going where after being painted...lol 

Here I got all of the parts placed on tooth pics so I could hold them to spray them with the airbrush and as you can see I numbered the spots they were in to keep things straigh:

Here are the parts after I sprayed Mr Hobby's Clear Blue and Clear Red:

And now here is everything done after having to spray some black on a couple of fittings as well as getting the check valves paint up:

PhotoBucket's problems are more than "maintenance" for me. If I may Chris, I'd like to post a recent response to PB, as my service has been down for a month.

It has been 3 weeks since you last responded. I have tried to be patient, but my issue is still not resolved. 
As you suggested, I tried to "access your account via a mobile browser or a desktop computer" however, since those are the two systems
I've been trying to resolve, that was a bad recommendation to begin with.
We are at the one month mark now. Exactly how inept are the people who have failed to resolve this?
I give you one week, November 9th, to correct this before I request a full refund of my recently paid subscription.
Should your "technicians" be able to fix this, I still want a 30 day credit for the time it's taken away from my usage.
Please respond as soon as possible so I know which corrective action to take against your company.
I have been a computer user since the Commodore 64 was released. Never in my life; not through friends, not in the papers, not on the news,
 not on the internet, have I ever seen such a poor example of "customer service."
Fix it or lose me. Your call.

This was my 4th response, including numerous requests by them for information regarding my computer, phone, and of course, "What were you doing when the error occurred?" 

"Um, wait a second. Let me think about this. Oh yeah !! I was accessing your broken website."

I now return you to the Most Awesome Vega Funny Car Replica on the Planet.

Alright Fellas... It's time for another small update. I got a little time in this weekend at the work bench and I decided to work on the Manifold fuel lines and redo the brass templates I did on my first go around because they didn't turn out very good in my opinion. So back to the drawing board it was...lol. This time I decided to set things up just a tad different. So for the Fuel Distribution block I decided to super glue it to the height I wanted instead of just clamping it so it would be completely rigid and my points would stay the same when bending the line. I started  by bending the lines from the Manifold ports back to the Fuel Distribution Block. I feel much better on how these turned out but They all are going to have to get done one more time because I can't leave them in the brass. I originally was going to bend them out of Piano wire/Music wire like I did the injector hat but the Piano wire has me concerned that over time it may start to oxidize so I was able to locate some .020" Dia aluminum rod from Detail master and ordered some today. Plus on the real cars I am willing to be that a good portion of them out there are running either Aluminum or Stainless tube but I would think Aluminum to save on any weight they could. Anyway I am waiting on the material to show up so I will wait til it gets here to finish them up and will continue on working on other items on this build. Here is what things look like....

Here are the bits and pieces of my original lines I bent for the fuel lines:

So here is my spacer block that I rigged up to keep my Fuel Distribution Block located where I wanted it. I super glued it to the manifold so it wouldn't move and I will have to go back and repaint the manifold:

Here is a side view of the lines:

Here is a crummy back view:

And here is the other side: