Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Dodge Charger 383

Mr. Moparman

I have had this kit in my stash since Christmas and decided to get it out and build it. I used the Hemi in another project so I dug around in my parts box and found the 383 Magnum air cleaner decal from a Revell Challenger, a PS pump and fan belt assembly from a RM '69 Charger, and the 383 parts from the RM '68 Dodge Dart. This is one of the Henderson & Clark race cars that the boys found and restored and sold for a '69 Charger Daytona.

106_0058.jpg

My paint will be Testor's Gloss Blue shot thru my friend's airbrush.

106_0060.jpg

I have removed the 426 Hemi logos on the sides of the body.

106_0059.jpg

Enjoy!

:):)

Well Brandon, I have said this before and I have to say it again. Your paint detailing of the body is sloppy and I hope that you can clean this up easily. The body paint looks good, but the detail painting distracks from it. This critique is not meant to hurt you, but to encourage you to do better.

I agree with Mike. Some masking tape laid before the brush painting would have really cleaned that up. Bare metal foil would be better, but I understand that's not always in the budget or easily obtained. Slow down. The idea here is to get better with every build. Not to make the same mistakes over again.

Yes, I agree with Mike and Rob. Actually, using Bare Metal Foil is not too hard. I tried it first time and ended to Corvette body, which looked like this. Of course I had the same problem, that painting those details was hard, here are two examples... Vega and Chevelle. But slowly, I started to paint chrome trims better without masking tape.'66 Olds...

These are just examples, how i have done. So what I want to say is that it's possible to paint those chrome trims quite nicely without masking tape, as my '66 Olds shows you, but as for the Vega and Chevelle, they are looking just like this... So do it more carefully. :lol:

like they guys said, it just takes practice

just a few days ago i painted a set of wheels from a bike/trailer that were molded in one peice and not extremely defined

it didnt come out perfect but it came out much better then i would have done a year ago

Man, when working with chrome painting on a model, does it bring back memories. Brandon, I know how you feel young whipper snaper, I loose to be in the same boat as you are at one time. Yea even I loose to paint the trim on with silver and chrome paint that would look silver anyways. Then one day I thought why not try some bare metal foil for once to see how that stuff was. Well I started out by using aluminum tape, the duct kind. Like it alot it wasn't silver paint but it was different though.. the more I used that stuff the more I liked it. well after along time using it. and Hearing people on these forums talk about bare metal foil I decided I would give that a try just to see how it worked, by this time my local shop in town had been in for like a year and had the stuff in as well so I pick up a sheet for 6.00 and tried it. To me, now this is my own personal opinion so you all know. It was tacky enough for my likings (I might have gotten a bad sheet or something I don't know) but the sheet I bought wasn't tack to much and the foil would come right back off and just didn't look right either. To me it looked to much like chrome paper. I wanted chrome and something that really had the adchive to back that could really stick.

So I started to look around for something else, I went to stores looking for something that was chrome like and didn't look like paper. It was then it dawn on me, the only way for me to find what I was looking for was for me to probably make it somehow (LOL). You see I was like you, I was trying to save money also even back then on things, and for a 6x8 or close to that for 6.00 you could only do afew models with that size and then you was out and needed more you would have to spend another 6.00 for another sheet. I didn't like the model car bare metal foil looks at all either. So that was when I really started to thinking at what to do to get more for less you can say and something that looked good as well and be real metal too yet you could cut through and use as bare metal foil on a model. That was when I started doing this http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34699 . Yep, making my own bare metal foil (LOL). I spend maybe a buck for the roll of foil, around three bucks for the elmers spray glue from the dollar general store ($4.00 and something total) and this way you enough foil, you have two choices of chrome or dull chrome as the foil has a dull side and a bright side to it. so instead of paying say 12.00 for two small sheets of both dull and bright, you can make your own for for a friction of that price and planty enough of bare metal foil for along time LOL. seeing on how you don't have much funds, maybe this route might be the way to go man for you. I know I like the homemade kind way better then the real bare metal foil out there. But thats just my own personal opinion though. each of us model builders has own ways of doing things and in different ways also (LOL).