Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 super bee

JTRACING

MPC kit. dupli-color forest green, Krylon clear.

pretty much done. I want to add exhaust tips but didn't have tubing the right size so I will add those on later. also I want to find better side mirrors than what the kit comes with

IMGP4071.jpg

IMGP4077.jpg

IMGP4070.jpg

IMGP4075.jpg

IMGP4081.jpg

IMGP4082.jpg

IMGP4063.jpg

Very cool... love the color. You can't go wrong with DupliColor! And the red trim around the back panel is very well done, many people miss that detail. :lol:

but on the other hand, shouldnt the red trim also be present around the headlights?

and the little chrome part under the grille should be body colour aswell i think

nonetheless its a great looking model

but on the other hand, shouldnt the red trim also be present around the headlights?

and the little chrome part under the grille should be body colour aswell i think

nonetheless its a great looking model

No red on the grille/headlights, just the taillight surround B) and the lower center grille piece is supposed to be body color on Super Bees. Coronets and Coronet R/Ts are supposed to be chrome (one of the ways to tell them apart besides the taillights and emblems of course).

Great build by the way, love the engine detail too!

No red on the grille/headlights, just the taillight surround :lol: and the lower center grille piece is supposed to be body color on Super Bees. Coronets and Coronet R/Ts are supposed to be chrome (one of the ways to tell them apart besides the taillights and emblems of course).

Great build by the way, love the engine detail too!

you know Michelle, if your gonna be putting me in my place like this you might as well go back to your moms :blink:

and i KNOW ive seen em in the magazines with red trim on the front, ill look for references

LOL I just included your message for reference silly. Off the top of my head some old Mopars that have red accents in the grille are the '70 'Cuda, '72-'74 'Cuda, '73-'74 Charger SE, and maybe a few others, but the '70 Super Bee (or Coronet R/T) isn't one of them B)

this makes me want to build one of the '70 Super Bees in my stash LOL

hey diymirage I just found this, you are somewhat correct in that a very small number of early pre-production '70 Super Bees did have a faint red line on the inside perimeter of the grille, but they dropped it before actual production for some reason:

'70 Super Bee Grille Restoration (several pics along w/ incorrect factory pre production brochure)

and

'70 Super Bee grille restoration

and

'70 Super Bee grill

I guess it depends on how you want to build it LOL. As far as the unpainted center grille piece on Super Bees & Coronets, it's common for that piece to get dinged up and often times replacements were left unpainted as they came chrome from the factory. Survivor cars do not have the chrome grille (to correct myself from my previous post, Coronet R/Ts do have painted center grille pieces, as seen on the 32,000 mile survivor car below) .

Here are a few pics of a '70 Super Bee & Coronet R/T survivors:

70Bee_1n.jpg

100_01651.jpg

NewBee18.jpg?t=1304720632

70RT_zn.jpg(32,000 mile survivor R/T)

I didn't know about the pre production red lined grilles so I learned something new today LOL. Survivor cars are the best source for accurate restoration information B)

Edited by MB_ChargerChick

well, not all owners of the cars can afford to do a top notch OE Gold Concours Restoration would be my guess. Also maybe they didn't have access to a survivor car, or didn't do good enough research maybe? The Mopar Nationals Survivor tent is a treasure trove of information, you can actually talk to the owners as well as restoration experts (Galen Govier for example). It might have been an option, it would be interesting to get ahold of order and build documents from a survivor car but it's not an easy thing to do LOL. A lot of them do have chrome grilles but those are (as far as I know) supposed to be on the "family cars", like the base model Coronet and Coronet Deluxe, and Coronet 500. I almost bought a '70 Coronet Deluxe 4dr Sedan, it was completely original and had a rusty chrome grille piece as well. But I'm not an expert, I just take into consideration what the experts have to say B)

Seems to be an option, similar to the molding around the inside of the gravel pan opening

Hmmm.... I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it.

It makes sense that it might have been some sort of "dress up" or "appearance" option, maybe part of an option package.

Very nice Super Bee! I like the color on this and paintjob looks amazing. Detailing on the engine looks good too, and that weathering is simply perfect, it looks like 1:1 car. I like it, wheels and tires are great and this Super Bee is really mean looking car, I think.

The Chrome center piece was indeed an option on all of the Coronet models back in 70'. Including the deluxe el-cheapo versions, I personally think they look better with the chrome ,Not the body color center piece. Nice build. But if you wanted to add that detail, The best way to mask the bumper is to use BMF to get a clean edge ,Tape just won't cut it.