Model Cars Magazine Forum

A.J. Foyt 1964 Dodge

MarkJ

I'll keep on eye this build, and I'm sure of it. These old NASCARS are great, and this Dodge has a great body design. Your work is always very nice to watch, so it's very interesting. That driver's seat looks quite, well, different than the modern ones. :lol:

Like the car, but not AJ. Lost my interest in him in 69 when he race at the Milwaukee Mile. He was leading the race with less then 5 laps to go when his Ford lost its engine. After the race I (15 yoa at the time) talked my dad into waiting and going into the race track to see AJ and get is autograph. Got down to his haller along with about 200 other people, and waited for him to come out. Well after about 30 mins he comes out to the back of his semi trailer and starts yelling at his crew that he isn't sign any f**king thing for anyone and tell them fer's to get out of here. Well he ranted and raved for as long as I could hear him. He called out a lot of bad words as my father walked me away and got me away from there. To this day I don't have to much to say about AJ.

Like the car, but not AJ. Lost my interest in him in 69 when he race at the Milwaukee Mile. He was leading the race with less then 5 laps to go when his Ford lost its engine. After the race I (15 yoa at the time) talked my dad into waiting and going into the race track to see AJ and get is autograph. Got down to his haller along with about 200 other people, and waited for him to come out. Well after about 30 mins he comes out to the back of his semi trailer and starts yelling at his crew that he isn't sign any f**king thing for anyone and tell them fer's to get out of here. Well he ranted and raved for as long as I could hear him. He called out a lot of bad words as my father walked me away and got me away from there. To this day I don't have to much to say about AJ.

That would put a VERY SOUR taste in my mouth for the man too... Funkster. I've seen him blow up on National T.V. also. Not a perfect roll model for race fans. But his Driving ability and the different types of cars he drove was awesome.There aren't to many people that's poured from that type of RACE DRIVER mold left.

I really like this build. I love older stock cars - especially those that aren't build often. I don't think that I have ever seen an A.J. Foyt Mopar stock car.

Thanks for sharing.

Tim, This car represents Foyt's first Nascar win. That's why I wanted to build this model. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by MarkJ

The roll cage is finished except for paint and cartograph tape. The tub on this car was much easier than most old 60's kits because I did not have to remove the molded in rear seats that most kits have. I just had to remove the door and quarter panel trim.

foytrollbar4.jpg

foytrollbar1.jpg

foytrollbar2.jpg

foytrollbar3.jpg

I like the interior and if that is a scratched cage then you did a great job. Not sure but I think the seat should have a bolster on the right side.

gus

Gus, I just sat the seat in there for grins. According to my reference pictures the seats in the kit look nothing like the seat in the real car. I might have to scratchbuild a seat and it will have an upper and lower bolster. The cage is scratchbuilt from 3/32 inch evergreen styrene tubing.

Edited by MarkJ

I too am really digging that roll cage. Excellent looking period padding. A.J. (and I am not really a fan of his) painted the floors of most of his early racers as an attempt at cutting down heat. An odd idea for an area that gets most of it's residual heat from below. Petty tried something similar with a white roof on his '68 Plymouth.

Actually it was a thick white mat they layed down on the floor but I did not want to go to that much trouble. I'm sure you are right that it was an attempt to cut down on the heat..