Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Chevy Dually, gooseneck trailer,'29 Model A, AND camper trailer project.

I haven't built anything ridiculous in a while. For me, that's saying something. So, we'll rectify that little situation like this...

ratrodtowtruck-vi.jpg

Here's my inspiration- a whacked mid '60's Chevy wrecker done up in a decidedly hardcore rat rod style. Doubt mine will be a wrecker- I've done the wrecker rat rod thing before. I'm thinking a fifth wheel or something like that. Then again, maybe I will build it as a wrecker? Not sure, this will simply be another of my 'throw stuff at the workbench' type projects.

I stared with a Revell '65 Chevy C-10 that had been raided for parts.

duallytruck016-vi.jpg

I started off with the chassis- I used the lowered kit front suspension and stock rear axle, with wheels robbed from a Monogram F-350. The tires are from two Revell Deuce kits- the littles on the front, two pairs of the 'bigs' in back. I cut out the inner fenders, and body dropped the truck about 6 scale inches. The top was chopped roughly 8 scale inches, and the wing vents were removed. One of the parts stolen from this kit was the hood- I used it on a '60 kit because I don't like the 'pods' on the early '60's GM truck hoods. On this one, I thought this hood would be perfect, so I used the discared '60 piece.

I must like using Hemis in '60-'66 GM trucks- of the five I've built, this is the third to use one. It's from the Revell '41 Willys kit, with the Double Dragster 8-carb manifold and a DeSoto valley cover. The belled aluminum carb stacks are from an unknown manufacturer.

I'm going full blown kookie on this one, like that '53 Ford wrecker I built a couple of years ago. Should be a fun one!

Edited by Chuck Most

Guest Markus355

looks great chuckles...

but a hemi in a chevy? really? you ought to be ashamed of yourself! ruinin a good truck like that! :)

Yeah, Tony- I ended up liking that '53 too, even though I had NO IDEA what it was going to end up looking like when done! B) (BTW... I've updated it recently, keep your eyes peeled for pics in the next few days.)

Never thought of a chopped trailer, Johnny... what about a chopped teardrop camper? OR... A cut down open road camper for the body???? :D

Guest Johnny

I like the hemi idea, Chuck. Not too crazy about rat rods, but this looks like it'll be an interesting build.

Like an old 392 Hemi???B)

Guest Johnny

That first pic had me wonderin' if it was real, or Memorex?! Lookin' forward to this build.

Same here, I thought it WAS his model!:lol:

Guest Johnny

Chuck I really dig your style of building and your gonna inspire me to build a rat one day soon B)

His builds do have that effect on a person!;)

It reminds me of when we were kids and would get together with model building friends and swap parts and mix kits to build wild and wooley cars only Chuck takes it to the extreme X100!:D

Edited by Johnny

Chuck I really dig your style of building and your gonna inspire me to build a rat one day soon :D

I'd love to see the Aftashox rat rod! And I think so would everyone else with a pulse. ;)

Well, she's gonna be a fifth wheel, which I think means this is only the beginning. I'm thinking chopped down gooseneck lowboy and some kind of nutty ratty creation for the load on the trailer!

The basic truck is progressing pretty nicely...

wrecker008-vi.jpg

wrecker009-vi.jpg

wrecker010-vi.jpg