Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weathered models, beaters, and wrecks.

go to any model car contest and take note that those subjects will barely get a second glance while the shiny and blingy stuff will have traffic all day long.

This the only one the I weathered took it to two different shows .Each time it was looked at alot and got alot of comments .And each time it took first place

parade017.jpg

parade016.jpg

How about those of you with "midly" weathered vehicles. Which reminds me . . . I got back into the hobby at a time when very little weathering was done and along came those who started to create mud spatter on their racing subjects, and I have to tell you it got excited from there . . .

Now you got rusting, burned vehicles, very good representations of how real cars weather, etc . . .

I usually weather even my well maintained street cars to some degree. Weathering is not just for extreme cases, (although there are some fine examples shown in this thread). Really, how many people keep the bottom of their real cars even as clean as the engine compartment? Get your “clean” car up on a rack and you’ll probably see you might have missed some mud and dirt on the bottom of the rocker panels. Don’t forget the tires…

DSC09728.jpg

DSC09736.jpg

You can also leave a beater in a closet or drawer for 20 or 30 years and let nature take its course on top of what you do… Something from my teen years unearthed a while back.

Should have removed that mold line across the B-Pillar, (among others), but I was going to weather it anyway... Looks pretty sucky there doesn't it? Weathering is not a valid excuse or fitting cover-up (usually) for failing to do the basics. My excuse on this one? Don't have one, except maybe youthful exuberance.

DSC09397.jpg

Ay least I corrected it when it was "Overhauled".

DSC09638.jpg

There's the obvious mistakes (dented or rusting Corvettes)

the only thing I can see that some reserch would have helped is the whole rust fiberglass thing.

*Quietly slides the rusted dented Corvette body into the purple pond while no one is looking.*

Edited by Jantrix

one thing i often notice on weathered builds is that the story calls for a car that has been sitting in a barn for the last 32 years but somehow it has brand new tires on it

So what are you trying to say? B):lol::D

Seriosly though, seems to me a person finds a barn fresh car, the first thing he's gotta do is put fresh rubber on it. And yeah, those are five lug wheels. I didn't notice the six lugs when I replaced the kit parts. But it's not a mistake I'll make again.

006.jpg

These are all good points being made, however like anything we do in this hobby there is a learning curve for anything we try. On my Gunslinger 57 I used real dirt and sand. On my Cherry 2K Mustang I used spray paints to get the same effect. Neither was very convincing. But I think I nailed it with my junkman's trailer using brush on acrylics. We learn as we go. I think weathered rides in the past wereoverlooked and under appreciated. But thanks to rusty guys like the good Doctor and others, that is changing. And people are realizing that it takes as much or more skill to make a weathered model look authentic than it does a nice shiny one.

Edited by Jantrix

Realy good builts - i like weathering on cars too. There are different sorts in my collections to, and i most try new methodes for it.

For example, my favorite this time, because its my newest i built in june this year:

CIMG8464.JPG

another one last year, it only has a little trackdirt on the front of the hood and behind the wheels:

GZTeam(112).JPG

my favorite Wrecker:

diowrecker(2).JPG

and the Vicci, they want to pick up. This car i built about for Years ago:

diowrecker(14).JPG

at last a Riviera with mud and dust

CIMG1697.JPG

I'm trying often, to make the weathering better and closer to original look. Hold on...

Edited by Dominik

...i have three more to show:

65 DragCamino - first try with weathered decals and streetdust:

CIMG5999.JPG

a Nova out of parts mixed from other kits, i had in my boxes:

CIMG7378.JPG

and a heavy T-Bird, when my paintjob was very bad:

CIMG9025.JPG

a kind of ratrod...

Edited by Dominik

Those are some really nice builds, Dave.

Cool work, Dominik. Nice to have you in the neighborhood.

Here's my version of balancing gunk with attention to detail.

40 Ford - Rocky's Rat:

IMG_7728b.jpg?psid=1

IMG_7768_1000.jpg?psid=1

IMG_7739b.jpg?psid=1

and my 29 Roadster:

Img_0463b.jpg?psid=1

Img_0457b.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Alyn

I have posted this before .it was right hand drive i switched it to left hand drive,dented the passenger rear door,removed trim on drivers door and added clips,shoved a rag in the gas hole,at one point in time it did have plastic "taped" to the dented door,I also added the side windows which I wish I had put in at different heights instead of all being at the same level.

newandnathan131.jpg

newandnathan129.jpg

newandnathan124.jpg

newandnathan127.jpg

Dave, you are right. I think weathering has been around longer than ten years, but it's become an addiction in the last 10 or so, in particular with MIG on the scene, and now there are two companies (MIG--Mig's old company) and (AK-INTERACTIVE--Mig's new company) putting out a lot of amazing weathering products.

Also, many modelers have been pushing the envelope on what is possible with weathering for a long time too.