Model Cars Magazine Forum

2007 Shelby GT500

mrmike

To get me back at building again, I have started a new project that I have been wanting to do for a while. This is not a last minute whim, but a project that was planned a few years ago and hopefully, one that will keep me pumped up for a while. Del Paone, the president of the Classic Plastic Model Club that I belong to, has a 2011 Shelby GT500 that is red with a white center stripe. His Shelby is the influence for my 2007 Shelby GT500. I had originally planned on a white with blue stripe, but Del's has won me over to red.

The kit is Revell's '07 Shelby GT500.

GT50001.jpg

I am replacing the kit's truck-like tires with a set of Pegasus 225/45-18's and the paint is Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red.

GT50002.jpg

Bodywork has begun with the removal of mold lines and adding the front grille and bumper.

GT50003.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Cool pick, Mike. Del's Shelby is a very sharp car, I must agree.

Word of advice: At least on the 2010 GT I have, there are some superfluous mounting tabs on the oil pan and one of the other engine parts, which one escapes me at the moment, and they will cause trouble with assembly, so do a little fitting first. I simply sanded mine off, and it went together well.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie and Romell!

Charlie, having built 6 of these Mustangs in the past, which can be pretty much the same under the body, I have a good idea of how they go together and I haven't had any issues with assembly. As a matter of fact, I have yet to build one box stock having to modify one to some degree or another by choice. I just picked up the 2010 Mustang GT yesterday at the Hobby Emporium 30% Off Sale and will look over the engine parts later when I get the chance. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Thanks Tyrone. The paint looks wet since I took the pictures right after applying paint.

A little progress for this morning before I head off to work. I started on the engine this morning. The belts and pulleys were just painted and are drying.

GT50007.jpg

GT50008.jpg

What's a Shelby GT500 without an open element air filter? I remembered that I had one from Scale Dreams left over so this will get cleaned up and painted. I'll replace the incorrect closed air box with a scratch-built open air box.

GT50009.jpg

More to come...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Jim!

A little bit got done today on the GT500. The wheels are fresh from its bath in the purple pond. When dry, they will be painted with Model Master Aluminium Metalizer.

GT50010.jpg

I painted the chassis gold as the first step at detailing it.

GT50011.jpg

The body and hood received another coat of Tamiya Bright Red.

GT50012.jpg

More to come...

I am by no means...a god...of any type. I'm just another model builder trying to build a decent looking model. While I may have been building models for many years, I still have issues with painting and I try my best to correct those issues as I go along. Nothing is perfect...like me! :rolleyes:

Jonathan, the tires will fit perfectly under the fenders and in the wheel wells. I have used these tires on all my other '06 and up Mustangs and Shelbys without any issues at all. Even after I have lowered the suspension, no issues with the tires. But, if you use the 245/45/18 tires, you will run into clearance problems.

The engine and radiator have been installed into the chassis.

GT500013.jpg

GT500014.jpg

The front and rear suspensions have been detailed painted and installed.

GT500015.jpg

I have not installed the rotors yet as I modify them to lower the ride height after the chassis has been mated with the interior and the body. I will show that process when I get to that stage of the build. I'll start on the interior next.

More to come...

Before I start on the interior, I wanted to get the wheels modified and out of the way. I started by removing the ribs from around the wheel.

GT50016.jpg

A mockup with one of the Pegasus tires to check the fit...perfect!

GT50017.jpg

A good coat of Model Master Aluminium Metalizer paint.

GT50018.jpg

More to come...

A little progress tonight. I glued the seats together and started assembling the interior. I noticed that where the seats were attached to the sprue, the paint had collected and touching up didn't look good. I decided to swap the seat backs and glued the seats themselves onto opposite sides of the interior. With the sprue mounting points against the interior door panels, the bad spots cannot be seen.

GT50020.jpg

GT50019.jpg

I used a shifter from my parts box instead of the kit shifter and painted the knob flat white.

GT50021.jpg

More to come...