Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late '50s Channelled Deuce Roadster

traditional

I've just completed this 'east coast' style channelled street rod, modified from a diecast coupe....Franklin Mint's ill-conceived 'Rockin'Rod' (a hideous redo of the Graffitti Coupe). The original model cost me $20 on Ebay, and anyone who's seen my recent models knows that I really enjoy modifying diecasts and I tend to use any materials that are appropriate to give me the results that I'm looking for....plastic, aluminum, resin, etc., etc.The body is channelled over the frame, the coupe roof replaced with appropriate roadster upper edge details, motor replaced with a super-detailed '50s Cadillac engine (wiring, dipstick, fuel lines, linkage, etc.), handmade interior, fuel tank in the trunk area, completely modified frame and undercarriage ( including brake-lines, fuel lines, tubing exhaust, handmade rear buggy spring etc.).

The cycle-fenders are lathe-turned from ABS plumbing tubing and made to look like '30s era spare tire covers that were so often modified by hot-rodders to use as fenders in the late '50s.

Paint is basecoat/clearcoat, and wheels are chrome steelies with wide whites.

The model has taken me about two weeks of quite steady (retired) spare time, and I'm really happy with the results.

P2020137.jpg

P2020135-1.jpg

P2020132-2.jpg

P2020128-1.jpg

It's no secret around here that I am not a fan of diecasts...but you did a pretty good job working this one over.Your paint is superb! If it weren't for those giant sized door hinges, you almost couldn't tell that this one is a diecast. But those hinges really gave away it's secret... too bad there wasn't a way to rework them too... :)