Model Cars Magazine Forum

64' thunderbolt pro touring custom

mp_101airborne

got the idea for this one awhile back watching barry white build one on discovery channel... this is actually my 3rd attempt at building one... first ended when my weener dog caught the body on the table and used it as a chew toy... second ended when i let a half finished version at my now ex-girlfriends house... so heres hoping 3rd times a charm... got the body primered and painted with modelmasters go mango orange laquer (yes i know its a mopar color but its the brightest orange laquer i could find)... haha... in the process of BMFing all the chrome now and feels like i might use the whole sheet... hope everyone enjoys

DSC02152.jpg

Your build lloks great so far. Personally I wouldnt paint the engine bay,I'ld leave it as it is.Black engine and black and orange two tone interior is the way i'ld go if it were mine. That pic you post looks great very mean looking version its stance is perfect.

I'd also suggest keeping the engine bay body color. As for the red car, the front tires look small when the body is dropped that far over the tires, so I'd suggest you use at least 18" wheels/tires.

There is a ton of chrome on this body, and BMFing the side trim is no picnic, either. The orange looks great, Mopar color or not.

well didnt have much time today to build but did manage to get the engine bay painted... i know there are some mixed feelings about this but i think i helps add some contrast to the strut tower brace and radiator shroud... plus its gives that look of the fenders being bolted on to something... also managed to snap a mock up... oh and one of the model murderer all wrapped up in her snuggie

DSC02157.jpg

DSC02169.jpg

DSC02162.jpg

DSC02158.jpg

well didnt have much time today to build but did manage to get the engine bay painted... i know there are some mixed feelings about this but i think i helps add some contrast to the strut tower brace and radiator shroud... plus its gives that look of the fenders being bolted on to something... also managed to snap a mock up...

oh and one of the model murderer all wrapped up in her snuggie

DSC02157.jpg

Your wienerdog tells me she was just trying to get rid of some of those mold lines for you. ;) Thanks for the pic!

Since everybody else is telling you how to build your kit, I'll chime in too. If you're not overly concerned about the engine being "period correct" for '64, paint the engine block and heads Ford Engine dark blue. This'll give you a little more color under the hood. Just a thought.

Edited by Monty

DSC00676.jpg

I really like this car! I especially like how well the roll bars are done on it. They're un-noticable at first glance. This has more of a good clean pro street look to it in my eyes. I have a built pro street '64 Fairlane on the shelf that could use a revamp especially in the roll bar department. I may get it down and do something more like this with it.

Nice build. I know others would like the engine compartment the same color as the body, and depending on what look you're after that would be good also. If you use a contrasting color engine block, or even a body colored engine block it may show your engine detail better. Are you going to use the Pro Stock hood or the flat hood? Looking forward to seeing more on this build.