Model Cars Magazine Forum

Many truck kits started, none completed yet, builders block perhaps?

I don't know what my problem is, I really do like building the truck kits but I seem to not get them done. In various stages of completion, here are the ones sitting around waiting for me to get back to them.

1.jpg

ERTL IH Paystar 5000. This one started out as the cement mixer. I wanted to put the mixer on the Mack DM800 kit I have so I converted this one into a pipe carrying truck. I have the Italeri lift completed and it's sitting on the frame. Just need to get back to this one.

f3.jpg

Re-release of the Payhauler 350. There is still a lot to do to this one.

cab2.jpg

Italeri Valvo VN780. It's actually a bit further along than this pic shows, I have the exhaust on and the interior done.

Italer50.jpg

Almost have the cab done on this one while I'm still fighting on getting the trailer smooth enough for the decal.

10.jpg

Mack R, been sitting like this for a couple of years.

4.jpg

RoG kennworth Australia, yeap, gotta fix that sleeper.

9.jpg

Italeri Mercedes Benz Actros, I really should have shot the sides of the trailer flat black.

3.jpg

RoG Peterbilt 359, this is going on front of the RoG car hauler trailer.

8.jpg

AMT Peterbilt 359 this one is going with the AMT lowboy trailer.

8.jpg

ERTL IH Eagle II & AMT livestock trailer.

18.jpg

Chevy Bison. I have the AMT dry goods trailer for this one.

17.jpg

1.jpg

Peterbilt 352. This one will be pulling this.

2.jpg

So except for the last two, I havn't worked on them for about 2 years, I hope to get a few of them done this year. This is the year of getting some "in production" projects done :-)

Well, start by finishing ONE project, all trim, Bare metal foil, decals, markings, license plates...Truck and trailer. Look at the result and be happy with it! Then, when you feel like it, proceed to another project. Want a suggestion with a choice here? That Peterbilt 352 seems to be begging for completion... Especially that it's trailer looks like it's ready to be hooked up and pulled! Have a look at truck picture sites such as Hank's truck pictures or Tims trucks for some inspiration. Don't wait until spring comes around, you'll be busy with all kinds of other stuff! Now git! ;)

Hey don't take this too seriously it's all in good humour! Just tryin' to give some encouragement!

Edited by Z06Bob

I think we all run into that problem at one time or another. What I usually do is only do one kit at a time and that way for me it does not feel so overwhelming.

I get a motivation booster when I get one done all the way and I see how nice it came out. All the projects you have going on look great. That flat bed will look great hooked up to the 352 Pete.

Stay with it and you will come around.

I have a few rigs like that started BUT not finished, not only that but now they R sitting in my neighbour home waiting for my den to be finished with its rebuild, so far that has taken almost as long as building a truck model "well not quite" but how does 5 weeks sound for a room re-arrange.

000_4031.jpg

This is wot a section of my den looked like 5 weeks ago. :lol:

Dingo B)

Ok, I see you have met Ben :D Sorry Ben, couldn't resist. It was served up so neatly. I do have to be careful about commenting on unfinshed projects. I can hear a voice asking "are you the pot or the kettle?"

I always use the excuse "I'm waiting on more parts so I can finish it!" LOL

I know what you mean by starting a kit,and never getting it done for a while. I have some kits I started about 20 years ago. All it would take is about a hour or two to get them done,but I start other kit or work on the train layout. All I can said is someday I will get it done.

I don't know what my problem is, I really do like building the truck kits but I seem to not get them done. In various stages of completion, here are the ones sitting around waiting for me to get back to them...

I know what you mean! I call it "Modeler's ADD". I have more than 30 different projects in various states of construction. Most are replicas of 1:1 vehicles. I find that I tend to actually finish the fictitious ones as no one knows the difference. I model mostly emergency vehicles, and I feel that the details "Have to be right". I started building about 30 years ago, and at the time my desires far outweighed my skills. I often would research and begin a project then put it aside when I realized that I just did not have the ability to accomplish what I had set out to do. Over time, I began new projects as well as building my skill set. As time went on, my availability to find time at the bench has decreased. Working two physically and emotionally draining jobs, a wife and family, home, etc. leave little time for modeling right now.

I have committed to finishing some of these projects, and am making progress! I would follow the advice that Lucas and Bob posted above. Clear off your workspace. Make up a punch list of items/steps. Then - Git ur done! Look forward to following your progress.

Or another thing you can do, like Tim A., is do a bunch of similar things at once, like all red cabs or frames, paint a bunch of white or aluminum colored bud wheels or lenghtened and shortened fuel tanks for that matter, paint them and have them ready for a build further down the line, so when you feel like your ready to build that red and blue GMC or that black Peterbilt 359, well all you have to to is... Build it, you don't have to worry about the paint and letting it dry anymore. You're ready to put it together right away. I know paint prevents me from starting some projects and I really should proceed this way, so when I feel like building something, I just do. Watch his development on his site, it's quite instructional.

I don't think I've ever started a kit I've never finished may have taken a month or two to finish BUT it's always bee done I guess I'm a little different to all U guys I have to see it on the shelf being shown off to all who call by.

Dingo

I don't think I've ever started a kit I've never finished may have taken a month or two to finish BUT it's always bee done I guess I'm a little different to all U guys I have to see it on the shelf being shown off to all who call by.

Dingo

sometimes started whit a model chassis etc and can not decide what colour it wil have

so put it back in the box and wait for a nice looks for it

i have now 4 waiting on that way 2 now almost ready but takes 2 years for i see thats the nice colour combo

jacobus

Just farm them out to other builders lol. Don't feel bad I got the same problem with my art work. My Computer art is mostly all half started and I got 3/4 of my art work all half started because I get an idea and then it don't go the way I want or I lose interest and come back to it a few years later. Nice thing is is all I got is sketches though. I learned sketching to alleviate half drawn art. It drives my wife nuts. Finally got a filing cabinet to put most of it in. Filled 3 drawers first shot. Good luck on the builds. I got a few rebuilds that are almost done but still have baggies of parts beside them lol.

What does "finish" mean??????????????? I thought that starting one was what we did to keep ourselves occupied until we get our hands on the next one! :o:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ben, that's EXACTLY what it is!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't count all of my "almost" finished kits!

Here's as far as I got on the Revell Snap Pete befor I decided to start a couple of trailers. I started the Peerless log trailer and then while I was working on it, I kept staring at the flatbed, and so I started it too. After I got it started, and after reading all the great reviews on the Lonestar, so that's what I'm working on now. I WILL get it FINISHED!!! I've already decided to change the interior color to better go along with the two-tone exterior color scheme I'm wanting to do.

post-8888-0-48210000-1330924226_thumb.jp

You're not the only one lol. between work, building and restoring my 1/1 f350 for the upcoming shows I lose interest very easily! and quickly I haven't even finished my lonestar,2 peterbilts, a frieghtliner, 2 trailers.

Chad

• 2 months later...