Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need an opinion...

Okay, so I was thinking today.

Since I'm still a bad builder and a terrible detailer...

Should I build box stock models to get comfortable before moving on to detailing, or should I try to detail now?

I'm leaning towards the first option.

Oh, and to get an idea of where my building level is at...

100_1621-1.jpg

100_1623-1.jpg

100_1624.jpg

Edited by SuperStockAndy

There is not set rules for model building, you have to what you think you are ready for, its not like school were you have to pass to move on to the next grade. I would say if you can do a clean OOB, then you should be ready try other things.

Just build your models, and it will all come to you over time, you will learn how to build better models, you are young, you have plenty of time, just have fun, thats what really matters, well unless you are building contest builds :lol:

That Camaro looks great. Just do like they say and try something new on each build. Start out with plug wires and flocking, then you can start making little mods like a cowl hood, a chop, or something like that. Over time you will get the hang of it.

Maybe you should try making a vehicle for Doc's Zombie build. You can do whatever you want with it, and it's pretty hard to mess up. Or try making a ratrod, can't go wrong with them.

nice camero andy. I agree with the others add a new technique once you get the hang of another, thats what I do. I'm 41 but have never been a consistant builder so you and I may be about the same level. I've tried bare metal foil for the trim on two cars so far and can't get it smooth but I'll keep trying.

Thats what i do Andy - to keep things simple I just stick with Box Stock. I'm on my third build and don't see a need to complicate things. I'm happy at this time keeping my models looking just like the one on the box. This is a great forum - i'm learning a ton here. By the way the Camaro looks awesome! That's a Laquer right??

John

Im just getting into the detailing stuff right now to. Im trying a bunch of new stuff like wireing and brake lines on a derby car that way if I mess it up I can take it off or redo it without to much consiquense some of its very simple to do if u take time and have the right tools and everyone on the forum is here and glad to help with any questions or opinions. U def have some great skills