Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Gearz Contest - Official Thread

I got the e-mail that said I'm an honorable mention and will be receiving two kits around the end of August.Does anyone know If you get to chose the kits or not,because that last thing I would want (And get with my luck) would be two snap-tight corvettes.

Edited by Casey

Sorry if I came across as a little picky/snobbish ,I just kinda wanted to know and the e-mail I got was very vague. Here's what mine read "Greetings!

Thank you for entering the GearZ/Revell Global Model Car Championship. We received a tremendous amount of outstanding entries this year, and although you are not a grand prize winner, we are pleased to let you know that the judges have awarded your entry with an Honorable Mention.

In honor of your achievement, we will be sending you two model car kits.

To receive your prize, please respond to this email no later than Friday, July 13 with the following information:

· Full legal name

· Date of birth

· Mailing address

Prizes will be mailed to you around August 31, 2012.

Winning entries will be posted on Revell.com and the Revell Facebook page soon. A list of runners-up will also be included. Watch for information about our 2013 contest coming soon!

Congratulations again. You did a great job!"

Also I will get pic's up soon.

I agree with everybody here, it is a huge honor to be even mentioned in my book. Don't hate me please, but I was chosen as one of the grand prize winners in my class. I feel like this is a fluke almost, because there are SO MANY exellent builders out there. No matter what anyone says, I still have a hard time feeling like my build belongs among the chosen few. I'm no better in my eyes than anyone else here. I would have been extremely happy to even be mentioned, because as was already said; look at the company we're in! There are ALOT of top notch builders on here, and every forum I frequent. And just think how many entered that don't do the forum thing that are equally as good as the people we see here. There are quite a few builds on all the forums that, if I knew were entered; I would've vote for over my build each and every single time. Everyone did an exellent job, I would bet; and I just don't feel worthy of these great accolades.

Your Humble friend,

Corey Jackson

could you post some pics of your cars that won? that would be kool to see the model.

when you respond to them, you might mention if you have 2 specific kits in mind you somehow "need" and they might just do it.

good luck and congrats on the contest!

I think getting an honorable mention is great and wish that I had taken the time to enter.

As far as which kits you end up getting, look at them as a reward for your hard work. Regardless if they are glue or snap kits, they have a retail value of $30-50, so that is a nice little prize to get these days! You may be able to exchange them with a hobby shop or retailer, it is worth asking or use them for a trade here on the forum.

While a clean build and nice details are essential to winning a contest, I believe this contest all includes how well you photograph the model for the judges to evaluate which ones are the best.

I think getting an honorable mention is great and wish that I had taken the time to enter.

As far as which kits you end up getting, look at them as a reward for your hard work. Regardless if they are glue or snap kits, they have a retail value of $30-50, so that is a nice little prize to get these days! You may be able to exchange them with a hobby shop or retailer, it is worth asking or use them for a trade here on the forum.

While a clean build and nice details are essential to winning a contest, I believe this contest all includes how well you photograph the model for the judges to evaluate which ones are the best.

'I really like your work and WOW! Mike is right your photography really jumps off the page, great. Edited by Greg Myers

Thanks for all the wonderful comments everybody. Revell and GearZ made a list of the kits that were eligible to enter and the 68 Hemi Dart was one of them. As far as the theme goes, a 68 Hemi Dart, while not available as a regular production street car; it was STILL a factory offering, and it was an intermediate sized car with not only a big block, but the baddest big block that Mopar had to offer. As far as I know, everybody I have "heard" define a muscle car says that a muscle car is a factory offerd intermediate sized car, with big block power. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get much more "muscle" than a hemi powered A-body Mopar.

Corey

I realize it was one of the "selected" kits, and I'm "aware" that it was a factory car, just looks a lttle like a purpose built race car, more then a factory muscle car. Nothing against you, top notch work, and killer paint for sure. you should be very proud.

Just makes me wonder about the contest is all.

Thank you very much, I also didn't mean to come across in a bad way if I did. I understand what you're saying also. I just wanted to build it in a race ready stage, instead of as delivered in primer and gelcoat with little skinny tires and all. I also have heard people say that if you take a factory muscle car, and make it race ready, that it's not a muscle car anymore.? To me, and I'm not saying I'm right by any means; that just it's not stock format anymore, but doesn't make it not a muscle car. I just tried to make mine look like someone might have done with theirs when they got it new. Aside from the Chevy <_< wheels on it! Just thought they looked cool. Again, thank you for the gracious comments. Paint is usually my biggest obstacle, especially on a black car. I go through all the right steps very carefully, and something still always seems to happen. LOL.

Corey

I'm really glad you guys posted that the winners were contacted. I wasn't, but at least I can stop waiting and wondering and searching the internet every day for an update.

It was still a fun diversion. I wonder if we could get our score sheets to see what to improve on next time.

Corey, great job! Congratulations!