Model Cars Magazine Forum

2006 Pontiac GTO wip

crispy

Just a couple of pics.

Here is what is involved:

Polar Lights 05 Drift GTO (2, just in case I fudge up)

AMT/Ertl 04 GTO

Aoshima Bersaglio Spoke II rims

Cobra Colors Brazen Orange Metallic

Tamiya Paints

Just out of the paint booth. Needs clear and semi gloss black and more clear. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have it done.

06gto3-vi.jpg

Just a quick Mock Up (sorry for the bad lighting.)

06gto5-vi.jpg

Just a couple more pics at 2006 GTO Link

Chris

You've inspired me to start collecting the bits and pieces to build a similar GTO. Got a prepaint '05 50% off at a local hobby store yesterday. Now I need to find the unpainted '04. Got plenty of rims to choose from :(. Then I'll need to place another order from Cobra Colors for some paint, perhaps Spice Red or Impulse Blue.

Marc, that Impulse blue is gorgeous. I'm thinking I may have to pick up some spice red too.

I'll be using the Impulse Blue on my 72 Blazer project.

UPDATE: Well, as we all know mishaps can and do happen. I conveniently forgot that Murphy lives with me and shows me his laws each time I model.

As I was pulling tape off, black paint layed itself on the roof. Not thinking (it was 11:30 p.m.) I thought just a spot of thinner would help clean it up. NOPE, should have let it dry and wet sanded it. So, I'm hoping I can re-spray the roof and keep on going.

So, until the humidity drops I'll work on the interior.

Chris

Well, things are going along bumpily I might add, but it hasn't broken me yet.

I finally got the black trim finished as well as the light gun metal on the rear bumper. The front bumper is painted up as well. Here are those results:

06gto6-vi.jpg

The front bumper, never mind the plate holder holes...:

06gto7-vi.jpg

Rear bumper:

06gto8-vi.jpg

The '06 tailights, well I think I have that licked. The AMT GTO kit comes with clear rear lenses. A little more detective work on the these and I should have all I need to get them to look right.

Engine halves have been put together and painted and drybrushed. No pics of that yet.

Hope to have the car cleared and polished in the next few days.

Check the link for all the pics:

My '06 Goat

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Really appreciate the comments.

Finally got the car cleared, not sure if I want to polish, but I know I will.

Played with the camera setting to try and get the color out right. Anyway, One of these should look good on your screen.

I know one is over-exposed.

cl2-vi.jpg

cl4-vi.jpg

cl3-vi.jpg

Anyway, onto the engine and interior. Slow going, but coming along nicely now.

Progress at My Fotki '06 GTO page

Chris

Hey that looks just like an Aussie Monaro LOL

The colour is cool and its close to a colour they use on the monaros here in the land of OZ, by the way there is a conversion kit to turn the GTO back into what it really is A good old AUSSIE MONARO, if anyone is interested I could try and track down somewhere you can buy them over the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update:

Finally got my version of an oil dipstick tube worked out. The manifolds aren't glued on and detailed yet, but to make the dipstick look better I "snapped" them in. You can also see the fuel rail crossover on top. I used a very small brass wire to do that as well as brass wire to make the dipstick tube. I then cut a piece of wire insulation painted it yellow and slid it over the wire. The handle was a piece of evergreen tube I sliced as thin as I could get and painted it yellow as well.

Not sure if it would be worth doing the plug wires, but I've gone this far and have the stuff so I think I'm just going to do it. The engine is far from done, but I love mocking up these things.

06gto17-vi.jpg

Their are a couple more engine shots at my Fotki GTO site.

Chris

Thanks Bill, That really boostsmy self esteem! Coming from such a tremendous builder as yourself.

Anyway, I too thought it was close to DSM, but not even!

I have the Brazen Orange Metallic and the Daytona Sunset Metallic and the shades are way different. I was really surprised myself.

Brazen Orange has much more bronze/copper color to it whereas the DSM has more red to it.

At least that is how they look in the bottles side by side.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Any more work or thoughts on the 2006 taillight conversion? What are you gonna do for headlights?

Hey Marc, yeah, done a few things. Lot more work going into them than I had first imagined.

So far I have black chrome foil on the tailight buckets. I bought an x-acto swivel head knife so I could cut my BMF circles. I'll paint the big circle with clear red. The same for the small circles, with the colors.

I think it will look pretty close. I'm using the red talights right now to do my "testing" for looks and sizes. I will be keeping the clear tails clear and have no intention of painting them at this point. I'll be using the BMF for the contrasts I want.

As for the headlights I will be using Bob Downie's tutorial he posted on the Scale Auto forum some time back.

As soon as I have something to show I'll definitely post it here, and other areas of the web.

Thanks for asking.

Chris

Thanks Leon. You've really hit a homerun with this color, at least in my book.

I'm trying to take my time and not rush. Hoping it will turn out better than I expect.

Thanks again for the compliments guys.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here is a litte more work done on the GTO.

Since the 2006 GTO's have a clear rear lens with black background, I had to come up with a realistic way to incorporate it. This was going to be a bit more intense than I had hoped. Here is what I have so far:

06gto26-vi.jpg

What I used was BMF Black Chrome as the backing and then chrome BMF for the circles. I'll be using some Tamiya acrylic clear red on the big chrome sphere, a touch of clear yellow on the bottom and leaving the top sphere alone.

Just started getting underway in the front area:

06gto27-vi.jpg

I painted the bucket flat black and again, spheres of BMF chrome for headlights. Still have the turn signal to cut ot as well as the other squarish headlight. Now, had I been a litte more observant and not so gung ho I would have used Zoom Zoom's tutorial to do the headlights. I'll do it next time for sure.

No picture yet, but the interior pan has been flocked. Just have the transmission humps to flock and that will be done. It's moving along nicely now. Have tomorrow off so I plan on getting the interior done.

Chris

• 1 year later...