Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

The carbs are mounted to the intake manifold and the linkages for the return springs are installed. I machined brass for those nuts and washers.

Still a little more detail work before the tops of the carbs go on.

DSC04089_zps0b78e25a.jpg

DSC04088_zps9608fca5.jpg

DSC04090_zps73e6abac.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty fine photography, too! It lets all of us see all that great detail up close. When the image is bigger than the part is and it still looks real good, you know it is good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guys.
I guess it is hard to see in the photos, but the spare is secured to the floor of the trunk. (I too learned that lesson in my Z/28) There is even a metal reinforcement plate on the outside of the bottom of the trunk floor for the threaded rod to anchor to."

Brilliant! I'm glad I asked, even more impressed now!

-Don.

Edited by DonW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tops of the carbs, ready to install. Brass for the fittings, wingnuts and hardware. The little flathead screws are stretched sprue with the slot cut into them.

DSC04092_zps05c4d52a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Return springs and a section of fuel line have been added. This assembly is ready to be installed onto the engine. Still a few details to add, like hose clamps and printing on the fuel line…

DSC04101_zpse904aee1.jpg

DSC04102_zpsa2d30066.jpg

DSC04104_zps0e603581.jpg

DSC04103_zpsf737078d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing work! I've been following along since you started this build. This just amazes me and inspires me to build better models. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jason!

The front fenders have been finished with a rubberized paint on the inboard sides and mounted to the spindle/brake assemblies. Ready to install onto the suspension arms…

DSC04105_zps6e6e2d86.jpg

DSC04106_zps82683534.jpg

DSC04107_zps85e0154f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Test fitting some body panels… They are not secured in these photos so they don’t line up as they will when properly installed to the frame.

DSC04111_zpsf0bc0f17.jpg

DSC04112_zps91998211.jpg

DSC04113_zps2ec64edf.jpg

DSC04114_zps8e5b9a39.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I had the wheels and body panels on, specifically the nose, I measured for the chin spoiler and started making it. I put a layer of tape on the nose where the spoiler will mount and then I CA cemented the sheet styrene spoiler onto that. I also cemented the center brace, (still needs to be shaped in these two shots).

DSC04124_zps4232bf2e.jpg

DSC04125_zps7dafe490.jpg

I added the mounting flanges and drilled them for the hardware then removed the assembly.

DSC04126_zpsed0fbed7.jpg

Cleaned it up and painted it… Top:

DSC04128_zps7f7b6ec0.jpg

Bottom:

DSC04129_zps9e978349.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's on wheels! I know, it's only a mock up, but it is really coming together now. It's been fun to see it from the beginning when you just had a sheet of brass for the hood.

Edited by Art Laski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it is nice to see it becoming a car...

Made the bolts and washers that hold the lower panel (under the header) for the driver’s side body work.

DSC04127_zps3b72194a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed the ignition wires and added the studs, nuts and washers to the cam cover. I’ll add the lettering to the wires after the assembly is on the engine.

DSC04131_zps5a64aa71.jpg

DSC04130_zpsc1a6d8b9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t like the way the hood fit after I bolted the side panels on and fine-tuned the fit of the nose and cowl so I soldered a little more brass to the trailing edge.

DSC04136_zpse685bc10.jpg

DSC04137_zpsb037b3b1.jpg

DSC04138_zpsa0416c94.jpg

Primed and sanded it out. Now it fits much more uniformly. I also made the front hood latches from brass and styrene.

DSC04139_zps7a2268ec.jpg

DSC04140_zps1590b87c.jpg

DSC04141_zpseab35917.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be the grille (brass). To speed up the chemical cutting process I milled a hole in the center of each hexagon. The black is the vinyl resist.

DSC04135_zps975f1156.jpg

It was close to being fully etched at this point and if I left in the acid too much longer it would burn more away in some areas than I wanted. So it decided to hand file finish it.

DSC04142_zpsf215b25f.jpg

Several hours later with a small square file

DSC04143_zps829ecdc1.jpg

Ready for primer, and more filing to fine tune

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. That was my fifth try over the last six weeks, I had to fine tune the chemicals, and the overall process as well, to get a more delicate part than I previously had etched. I didn't keep track of the exact amount of time, but it took about two hours to prep each piece of brass before dunking it, and a few days to cut with the acid. I know there's over five hours hand filing on this one, so far. And my fingertips are still recovering from the filing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...