Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks Mike. The header wrap was made from a cloth tape from the pharmacy (CVS house brand). After I painted it, cut strips and wrapped the header, and weathered it, I heated it with a cigarette lighter to give it a new memory. Hasn't come undone yet...

After I test assembled the lap belts by bolting them into the frame and wrapping them over the seats I found they would not lay the way I wanted them to. So I had to mount them to the seats and forgo the lower mounting points. Not a real issue as they were not even visible once the seats were installed. All the stitching and labeling is done on the shoulder harnesses even the ones behind the seat.

DSC03947_zps834ffd7a.jpg

DSC03946_zps5ee9d1ff.jpg

And here are all the lap belts. I’ll probably add some wear to the assemblies later, but they’re done for now…

DSC03949_zpscb03a1da.jpg

DSC03948_zps24a9d19d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the oil cooler. I made most of the housing when I was building the radiator, but I wasn’t happy with the first core. I used the same material (aluminum) and learned from my first attempt to make a better core. Then I finished the housing.

Yes, the core does allow airflow. I still need to make the mounting hardware and fittings.

DSC03984_zpsc72c6ae3.jpg

DSC03983_zps868d16db.jpg

The brass frame is painted and it’s time to start building.

DSC03988_zpsaa222713.jpg

DSC03989_zps223c461c.jpg

21 months to the day I started making parts and it is now going officially into the assembly stage.

The pumpkin assembly for the differential went in first; I still need to make the cosmetic fasteners for it.

Next the fuel tank went in. I machined the fasteners for it today since it isn’t mounted on brass guides like the diff, the hardware holds it in.

DSC03994_zps5070a002.jpg

DSC03995_zps660239a4.jpg

DSC03996_zps0d8dbfdd.jpg

This is the DeDion tube with the rear calipers, rotors, outer CV joints/boots and lower shock sections installed. The black calipers are for the parking brakes and have the pads installed. Still more hardware is needed before I install this assembly into the chassis.

DSC04012_zps5d92e0dd.jpg

DSC04013_zpse3ccb51f.jpg

DSC04014_zps90a5617a.jpg

Thank you Jake.

I got the rear suspension installed. Even after dry fitting each step along the way as I made the parts, it was an especially tight fit with the parts now painted. A much more delicate touch was required to assemble it this time.

I made over a dozen nuts & bolts as I went. I also made the limiting straps and clamps for the outer CV boots.

The suspension does operate.

DSC04023_zps1d99af9f.jpg

DSC04022_zps98b62ab0.jpg

DSC04021_zps476c523d.jpg

DSC04020_zps1a681aaf.jpg

Just curious... are you building this in pretty much the same order as a real one would be done? I'm curious about you planned this out, so that any parts you install won't get in the way of any later parts or assemblies. I guess my question is... did you pre-plan the assembly sequence?