Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autodesk 123D Catch

GerN

I played with it last Fall and it is neat, but the detail you get on the 3D model is not very good. But the software's ability to map the object's texture is great, so the resulting 3D model would look good in a movie or game. I'm sure with a very good camera, very good lighting conditions, and a capture rig like http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbp4qcsGqX1r9kw4u.jpg, then you might be able to get something that you could edit and print. By the way, I got to see a couple of industrial 3D printers in action yesterday. They were cool.

Joesph, I came to same same conclusions as yourself, that the detail was not there. I am attributing it to not being able to solve the seven parameters of camera placement in the 3D world as accurately as needed. I have the ability to physically place the camera focal points at the exact same point as my laser scanners. Then by solving the locations of the laser scanners through cloud manipulation, solve the exact x, y, and z of the cameras. The other parameters are a bit more problematic. I don't think their software will allow for the alignment of photos without touching the x, y and z. I am curious if 3DSom will allow that. Then there are the mathematics of the lens.

Another method to try would be to print an alignment sheet of radial dashed lines and place the object in the center of it. Doing this would allow for longer arms in the geometry. Using the radial lines for alignment would give you much better control of individual photo alignment, I know the 3DSom software suggests this.

I have been beating my head against the wall with these software's. I have not yet gotten a result that I would use. OK, I am a laser scanning guy, but, I wanted to test this for small objects as I do not have a small object scanner. I currently have three scanners for buildings and areas. I placed an object in the center of a garage that has fairly bright high bay lighting. I then printed the scanning mat from 3DSom as a 30" circle on my plotter and placed the object on a table in the center of the garage on the mat. I used a mobile white backing so that the background was not in the photos. Nothing useful. Now the issue appears to be lighting as the high bays were not enough and I will now have to get my lighting and green screen kit back from my brother for yet another try. From what I have seen so far I am far from optmistic

Frank I did look at that link and I can't help but notice that no specs exist. Kind of would expect that lack of specs at an announcement, so, no surprise. I have been eying the http://www.nextengine.com/ scanner. If I had a commercial need I would be all over it, but, by the time I would order all that I would need it is right around 8K. Bit pricy for a toy, I need that commercial need. And, yes you would want the RapidForm suite