Model Cars Magazine Forum

The great one died 19 yrs ago today.

Great vid, thanks for posting! "Senna" is a must-see for anyone who loves racing. I watched it twice, then put it back on my Netflix queue. Fantastic movie. He seemed to be a truly humble man despite his success and absolute star status in Brazil.

Edited by Draggon

19 years after the fact, there has not been another fatality in F1 racing after the safety precautions instituted as a result. That's worth commemorating. And if you've seen the documentary film, you'll know why he's still a legend today. Plus, he gave millions to help children in the barrios of Rio, also worth remembering.

Edited by sjordan2

Everyone needs to watch "Senna", the movie, at least once in their life - regardless of whether they're F1, open wheel, or even racing fans at all. It's on Netflix. Best racing docu I've ever seen. Turn the sound all the way up for maximum effect.

Everyone needs to watch "Senna", the movie, at least once in their life - regardless of whether they're F1, open wheel, or even racing fans at all. It's on Netflix. Best racing docu I've ever seen. Turn the sound all the way up for maximum effect.

And what's amazing is that most of it is 1990s video with visible scan lines, very pronounced on the big screen in the theater. Shows a bit better on home TV, and yes, jack the sound up. I agree it's the best racing film ever. Once, Raul Julia was slated to play Senna in a scripted film version, which didn't happen, but it couldn't have been as riveting as this documentary.

Edited by sjordan2

This comment is uneccesary and frankly offensive to those who do care.

93k,

This is unnecessary, ---this is not unecessary----.

Nothing offensive here,

For months now the board has been inundated with obituary and death threads.

Some have been removed.

Most have nothing at all to do with Models.

2/3 of his board think Richie Havens is an upscale residential neighborhood in Beverly Hills.

Just as the same portion have no idea who George Jones is.

It would be like you posting the obituary of the Missing Pumpkins guy who died from an OD.

I would have no idea who he is nor would I care.

All these Obituaries makes the site front page look like my AOL Browser.

CadillacPat

Nothing offensive here,

For months now the board has been inundated with obituary and death threads.

Some have been removed.

Most have nothing at all to do with Models.

2/3 of his board think Richie Havens is an upscale residential neighborhood in Beverly Hills.

Just as the same portion have no idea who George Jones is.

You have a point, Pat, but the General header reads:

General
Post general model car/automotive topics here.

This topic is about a legendary, deceased race car driver, so I don't see any reason it should be removed. It's clearly auto related, a subject which most of us share an interest in.

I agree that non-automotive or model-related topics shouldn't be discussed here on the forum, but there are times when judgement is required, not to mention a sense of compassion. If a member's immediate family passes away and they want to post about, neither Harry nor I are going to delete it. We understand that some people grieve and handle personal loss differently, so there's more benefit to allowing such a pst to remain than deleting it.

As for the other non-auto nor model-related topics, I agree, and I removed the George Jones topics-- both of them. I am really, really hoping an off-topic section becomes a reality here, and soon. I think it would benefit members on both sides of the argument (to have or not to have an off-topic section here on the forum) to have such a section, but I have no control over its creation beyond offering my thought and opinion.

There are some topics which I feel should be removed, but I am waiting to see/hear if an off-topic section is going to be created, so please, be patient until that is decided. Once it is, you will see some changes to Gen. Disc.

Hey Casey,

No, don't remove it.

I don't think I've ever asked for anything to be removed except for derogatory comments.

By all means, it is slightly Car related,

But,

It sure is depressing when the front page of the site is littered with roadkill, time after time.

If you do create an off topic section please build it so it does not return to the top of the page with each off topic thread.

Keep it in the shadows.

CadillacPat

Hey Casey,

No, don't remove it.

I don't think I've ever asked for anything to be removed except for derogatory comments.

By all means, it is slightly Car related,

But,

It sure is depressing when the front page of the site is littered with roadkill, time after time.

If you do create an off topic section please build it so it does not return to the top of the page with each off topic thread.

Keep it in the shadows.

CadillacPat

This coming from a guy who likes to post about Randy Travis and dogs.... :lol:

Definitely a very car related and a model related topic. No different than if someone had made a thread celebrating the life of Dale Earnhardt on the day of the Daytona 500 (I'm a long time racing fan, a fan of both drivers). I have the Tamiya kits of his Lotus and McLaren cars, the Fujimi kit of his Williams, and quite a few Senna-related diecast race cars in my collection...

Definitely a very car related and a model related topic. No different than if someone had made a thread celebrating the life of Dale Earnhardt on the day of the Daytona 500 (I'm a long time racing fan, a fan of both drivers). I have the Tamiya kits of his Lotus and McLaren cars, the Fujimi kit of his Williams, and quite a few Senna-related diecast race cars in my collection...

Thanks Rob, it was posted to remember a great driver and great human being. One million people cared and attended his funeral.