Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Camaro Fastback/Wagon: Done!

JM485

About a year ago I bought a Revell 69 Camaro kit from a vendor at NNL West, but unfortunately for me, I didn't look well enough at the contents and the body was cracked and broken. I had done business with the vendor before and he has always been very kind to me, so I honestly believe he had no idea, plus it is ultimately on me because I looked inside and still didn't see the broken body! :blink: I have been trying to figure out what to do with it, and a few days ago an idea came to me, why not make it a fastback? It was mainly the roof and trunk that were damaged, so I decided to cut out the trunk and extend the roof to give it a fastback look. This is the first time I have ever cut into a body, but I figured what the heck since it was broken anyway. Here is what I have so far:

For filler, so far I have only used baking soda and super glue, it works really well. The roof also has a 3 scale inch chop.

IMG_0457_zps6cfeec5a.jpg

IMG_0461_zpsad66b50f.jpg

IMG_0458_zpsc6f60f90.jpg

IMG_0460_zps30e69fc7.jpg

I have to fix the body warp, hopefully it won't be too bad.

IMG_0462_zps9dd8bcad.jpg

Edited by JM485

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a little bit of progress. Haven't been working on it a whole lot since it has been so nice outside lately. So far I have the body pretty well smoothed out. It took a LOT of bondo and sanding to get it to look right but it is almost there. The motor is also done, and is just the box stock Yenko 427. I still have to figure out what to do for the taillights, but I think I will just cut out the back to accept the kit ones.

IMG_0511_zpsa37fb855.jpg

IMG_0512_zps0039d6c2.jpg

IMG_0513_zps97f65366.jpg

IMG_0514_zps60ae348c.jpg

IMG_0515_zps624f5d25.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have a bit more progress. The chassis is done and the motor is installed. Right now I am working on extending the interior tub, so hopefully that will go easily. Paint is the next step though I think!

IMG_0602_zpscee2ab77.jpg

IMG_0603_zpscb11f5d7.jpg

IMG_0604_zpsa40565ca.jpg

IMG_0605_zps7b7a0627.jpg

IMG_0606_zpse4ddf0fe.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally have a bit more to show. The body is painted and polished. It looks good in the pictures but there are a few issues. The biggest problem is that I set the body outside to dry for a few hours after I sprayed the black paint, and it was so hot that it caused the bondo to swell up and even crack. I decided to just leave it since it wouldn't be too noticeable and proceeded to wetsand. Then, I burned through to primer in a few spots, but wasn't worried since I was going to give it the graphite powder treatment to make it look like it was completely black chrome. Unfortunately, the graphite would not stick to the clearcoat so the car is just black, with a few small primer spots. I don't want to strip and repaint so I will just deal with it, but it kind of stinks to know what could have been though. Here is what I have:

IMG_0620_zps3c571285.jpg

IMG_0621_zps25dd3517.jpg

IMG_0622_zpsa8609872.jpg

I wanted to experiment with a flat black grill and I really like it!

IMG_0623_zpsa8ce087b.jpg

Here you can see the issue

IMG_0624_zpsdb6286c8.jpg

The interior parts were just airbrushed tonight, so it should be together really soon!

• 3 weeks later...

It's finally done! Finaly assembly was robably the worst I have ever had. I ended up having to break the rear panel directly under the back bumper off in order to get the chassis into the body, and even though it is nowhere near perfect, I will have to live with it. Thanks a ton to everyone who followed along and gave their input and support, I will post all of the final pics in the "under glass" section.

E41A0240_zps8f5e6b2e.jpg