Model Cars Magazine Forum

Explanation of police terminology requested

A question for those in law enforcement.

I've been watching Southland every season (great show- Adam 12 meets NYPD Blue), and during the program, in the even of an injured officer, a request for an "RA unit" is made.

I understand that, in essence, it's a paramedic/EMT, but what does the RA stand for?

Thanks.

Charlie Larkin

I like that show also...been watching since it first came on..good gritty drama...wondering if it will be back for another season.

Looks like it will be. I remember when NBC started it when ER ended, and I was happy to see that TNT picked it up later.

Excellent writing, good performances, and very real. One of the best shows on TV.

Charlie Larkin

Chuck...RA Unit is an LA term for rescue ambulance. Every major city has their own terminology, ranging from codes to simple words. In NYC, the most common term for an ambulance is "bus". "Get me a bus forthwith Central...this guy's checking out!"

Chuck...RA Unit is an LA term for rescue ambulance. Every major city has their own terminology, ranging from codes to simple words. In NYC, the most common term for an ambulance is "bus". "Get me a bus forthwith Central...this guy's checking out!"

Tom's right: Rescue Ambulance. And, he's correct that every jurisdiction has its own vernacular. Where I was, the bosses had to constantly remind the troops to avoid using the local slang, "Meat wagon" on the radios! And, of course, our area flight for life helicopter air ambulance service really disliked being referred to as "dash for cash."

If I may join this conversation, I once heard the term "threat level" in conjunction with Kevlar. I'm pretty sure I know what it means, but could one of you explain please?

I beleive you are talking about bulletproof vest, BP vest have different levels of protection , I am not going to into detail as there is a lot of stuff to type, but you can find out more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletproof_vest

Saw it, not bad. Is anyone picking it up next year? I haven't seen it advertised anywhere.

Charlie Larkin

No, its not coming back either , it was canceled May 13th 2012, NYC 22 was a mid season replacement for CSI Miami and then when it came back to air in July, that was only to burn off the reaming episodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NYC_22

Edited by martinfan5

Motive is a really good show, I really enjoyed the first season. One of those rare occasions of a Canadian TV show being picked up by a US network!

My wife and I also really enjoy The Glades, even if it is a bit formulaic. I also like Longmire.

We called it simply E-M-S, as in "what's the eta for ems?"

Slang term would be "bambalance", don't ask how that got started, I never did know.

I have to say I've never watched any of the mentioned shows.

In my mind "Barney Miller" was the best depiction of a big city detective bureau ever shown on TV. I can place a face to every character in the show, and while it's about a weeks worth of action condensed into a half hour sitcom, they got it right.

G

Slang term would be "bambalance", don't ask how that got started, I never did know.

Oh come now! That is one of the most famous 911 calls ever! This is the best I can come up with that has all the naughty words bleeped out. If for some reason you desire a stream of obscenities the uncensored version is out there.

http://youtu.be/n7AB9rzIJPM

Edited by niteowl7710

Oh come now! That is one of the most famous 911 calls ever! This is the best I can come up with that has all the naughty words bleeped out. If for some reason you desire a stream of obscenities the uncensored version is out there.

http://youtu.be/n7AB9rzIJPM

The deer and the dog must be related . . . they both have the same first name!