Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much of the inside of a car body do you paint and what color do you use.

I paint the inside of the body flat black. I also do that to the outside of an interior tub and the top side of the chassis. I see a lot of guys leave this all in bare plastic in their build progress photos. I just feel that I don't want to get finished and be able to see plastic up in a spot I can't reach easily.

I don't know Corvettes well at all. Maybe you'd see the unfinished fiberglass from underneath? I know I have a dune buggy that I replicated by spraying the body color on the bottom but not clear coating it so it looked unfinished but molded in color.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I mask the body from the outside to keep the paint from getting on the skin and rattle can the inside with flat black. Then I airbrush it with Future and cover it with tape for the remainder of the build time. The Future keeps the paint from peeling when I remove the tape. I also paint everything like Tom does. In short, I try to build my models like real cars.

Dale

I recently did some bodywork on a 1:1 58' Corvette and the underside/inside of the body was pale yellow bare fiberglass.

Most fiber glass will be a pale orange-ish yellow with even a hint of white, it's the color of the cured resin, more dark than light. Not just a Corvette thing it's pretty common to all production fiberglass, to get it really correct one would also squirt some sort of matte clear coat over the color coat(s). The resin makes the backside have a slight sheen. The outside of the part/body is not the same as the backside, what you see there is the gel-coat which acts like a primer coat.