Model Cars Magazine Forum

SSD (Solid State) Hard drives for computers

Quick GMC

I'm not a computer enthusiast, but a good friend is. I recently had him build me a desktop and coincidentally my laptop dumped it's hard drive aroun the same time. The desktop and laptop both got SSD's. I just wanted to give the guys a heads up that aren't familiar with these. Holy mother of speed. The computers will restart in about 17 seconds.

You can get 500gb and 1tb, but they are more expensive. I am using a 128gb in my destop just for startup and key programs and a 250gb in my laptop. I use a lot of heavy programs like Adobe and Autodesk programs and it helps tremendously with bootup. Also data transfer is lightning fast.

just putting it out there for you guys that are looking for more speed in that department. I got my Samsung 250GB SSD for about $150 and it took 10 minutes to install.

I run my desktop from a 32 gig Sandisk flashdrive. I have one more 32 gig flashdrive with data plus two 16 gig and one 8 gig for data. Works great for me plus I can unplug the flash drive and boot on any other computer anywhere if need be.

For those of you not familiar with the technology, here's a link to a basic overview, and several related articles of interest in the right-hand sidebar.

http://blog.digistor.com/upgrade-storage-access-with-ssd-drives/

for those that are fascinated with the idea of SSD devices, I recommend reading the article "Extending the life of an SSD drive" (in the right-hand sidebar) for some insights/gotchas that are mostly ignored or glossed over.

(unless you like the possibility of losing all your files and having to replace your hard drive and get your computer running as good as it used to.)

Edited by blunc

^^ Yes. As common as they are becoming, SSDs are still not for long term storage. That remains the domain of good old platter drives (or two). Note that I have an SSD with apps and my OS only and the data files are all on a platter HD. The whole thing is backed up on two external hard drives.

Dale