Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Chevy Advance Scout Truck - African Airstream Caravan

Brad... You are a true craftsman my friend. That thing is Gorgeous and you Knocked it out of the park. Totally cool and I am digging at it. Glad to see you getting sometime at the bench. I haven't made it to the bench at all today. Trying to force myself to get there.

Thanks Buzz and Chris. Yea getting some bench time in this weekend and now have the water heater finished up with the propane line and the exhaust vent pipe. Have been working on the hub caps and knock out hubs for the front and they're now in primer. I want to get the lining for the bathroom door done before calling it a night. We'll see how it goes.

Ok gents...here's some the results from the weekend's considerable bench time. Most of the time was spent on the water heater and now its plumbed with a gas line. The water line will come in from the backside of the wall in the bathroom. I glued the galley cabinet to the bathroom walls so its now one piece. Had a bit of fitment issues and had to sand the curvature of the bathroom wall. The bathroom door got a piece of thin Evergreen stock like the rest of the bathroom interior. I'm still working on a threshold for the door since it has a drain pan and had to be stepped over to get into the bathroom. I also worked on the from hubcaps by drilling out the centers for the 4WD hub centers which extends through the hubcap. Those had to be made too. I screwed one of them up and had to use some bondo to fix it. Of course that had to dry before sanding, sealing and hitting it with some light grey primer. They got hit with a coat of white paint this morning.

Here's a couple of pictures of the galley/bathroom cabinet. The door handle actually works.

Galley1_zpsff4h4hmr.jpg

Galley3_zps2kc83umr.jpg

Thanks so much for your interest. I'm closing in on the DSC deadline of April 11th.

Edited by gasser59

Brad,The progress you are making is outstanding.I had a very interesting conversation today that I thought you might find somewhat interesting.A fellow I worked with at Airstream for several year had heard about you project and that I was looking for any information available about that project.

In 1959 my friend Bob was actually in charge of the crew that built the shell of the vehicle you are replicating.What are the chances?I don't want to publish his name and address here and he is not on line.If you would like to get in touch with him send me a PM and I'll send you his information.He lives here in Jackson Center and is in his mid 80's.

Thanks so much Chris. Really appreciate you following along.

Here's a shot of the inside of the bathroom walls along with the functioning door latch in the closed position. There's a gap where the door meets the shower pan and I hope to have that taken care of this evening.

ShowerWalls_zpsa25nmlke.jpg

Hopefully more bench time tonight. I've really got to getting some aluminum on the walls, both interior and exterior.

Edited by gasser59

Last night I was able to get the drawer handles along with the cabinet door handles made and installed. Also, I just had to make a coffee pot for the back burner. Its made from pen parts and some printing plate. The map is one I had laying around back from the teardrop build. I'll have a few Africa maps in there eventually. This one is of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.

DrawerHandles_zpstxcru4u8.jpg

CoffeePot_zpscjblmohz.jpg

Thanks for your interest and following along.

Hi fellas - a bit more work done at the bench this weekend. Started to work on the exterior skin made from printing plate and am still trying to determine where to cut the top portion of the side skins for the interior to be viewable. Have to take into account the three roof vents with the end ones being close to the front and back. I got the inside skin cut for the front of the cab and its been painted and the rear one has been cut and glued to the end frame. It still needs painting. The interior skins will go on after the exterior unless I find a good reason to do it differently. The reason for the exterior ones first is so I can glue them on from the inside with the interior skins in the way. The interior skins will be partially held in place with all of the cabinetry, at least that's my plan anyway.

I also got the floor tile made and glued in. They were originally 9" x 9" asbestos tile with a yellow / tan color with a bit of a darker color that was almost indistinguishable. I made the color in PhotoShop and the grid in Illiustrator and place the color pattern behind the square grid and printed them out. I laid clear packing tape over the tile, burnished it down and slightly roughed it up with fine sanding film. Once done, I put a needle in my pin vice and using a straight edge, ran the needle along the lines at a flat angle to put a depression at the tile seams.

I additionally made a black water collection tank under the bathroom complete with a dump valve.

Here's a few pictures.

ExteriorSkin1_zpsfpzfxdda.jpg

RearFrame1_zpslonp9srf.jpg

Tile1_zpsy0oazk3y.jpg

BlackTank_zpsagvtabfb.jpg

Thanks for following along and your interest. As always, comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

Well as I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been waiting on the arrival of a Plastruct toilet to finish the bathroom and it finally arrived after being on back order. Wouldn't you know it, its too big. Besides its not very vintage looking so I'm making a replica of the ceramic bowl version that used to be in my own '59 Airstream. Wish I had known the Plastruct one was going to be so off earlier so I could continue with the bathroom. I'm making one out of a rim that's currently in the purple pond. The base is aluminum with a foot pedal for a plunger. I'll have pictures of it tomorrow after coming out of the pond.

Here's the toilet that came in the mail. It doesn't leave much room to take a shower in that already cramped space especially when you consider the curved ceiling.

Commode_zps8h4zbzxo.jpg

Thanks for your interest. Stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59