Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Chevy Advance Scout Truck - African Airstream Caravan

Thanks lil' brother. This has been alot of fun putting this interior together. Next up is the bathroom. I just ordered a scale toilet from Oakridge Hobbies along with some propane tanks from Larry G Scale as well as some other items so stuff should start coming in. I'm looking forward to all of the exposed plumbing in the bathroom / shower, also known as a 'wet bath.'

Stay tuned.

Don't do that Tom. That would be a waste. Do you have a thread on this camper Tom?

Brad, I won't be actually throwing them away of course! :rolleyes:

These were inspired by your circus truck, watching your build thread gave me the courage to try something new, which was scratch building with basswood. I always wanted to build a camper, so thanks for the inspiration!

Dodge Van Camper:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=66117

'51 Chevy Traveler:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74873

Wow Tom. Those are both really nice. So glad you found inspiration from my work. Doesn't look like either one of them is finished though so it appears like you're a bit like me and move onto other builds before completing the current one. Please finish them up.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks lil brother John. DSC is my target date. We'll see how it goes.

Appreciate your comments Troy. Thanks for tagging along.

Getting some bench time in last night and today as well since its overcast and sprinkling. Yard work can wait. I'll post some pics later this afternoon.

Edited by gasser59

Glad you're finding some inspiration from my build Mike. Thanks for the comment. Spend a good amount of time building the driver's side cabinet with drawer fronts and wardrobe cabinet. The wardrobe cabinet still needs the other door but the one is done. I set the finished other door on a resin tire for the paint on the inside to dry and when I turned it over, the wood finish was messed up. I'll need to make another door. I plan on having a few garments on hangers in there when its all said and done. Making those will be a challenge.

Here's a couple of pictures.

DresserCabinet2_zpsgi4jojcn.jpg

DresserCabinet1_zpswlnkfnua.jpg

Thanks probably all for today. Thanks for your interest and following along. Comments always welcome.

Edited by gasser59

don't forget the pith helmet!

bob%20hope_zpsrvp8uhzj.png

LOL. Wally wore a pith helmet but I'm not so sure PeeWee or his traveling companion did. I've made one so putting it in the cab or camper makes alot of sense. Thanks for the input.

Edited by gasser59

A bit more work done on the driver's side cabinet by getting the second wardrobe door on and hinged. Also put in a shelf and clothes hanging rod. The water heater has been made and needs to be detailed with ceramic knobs, exhaust vent, incoming propane line and a few small decals. The 2 propane tanks for the rear bumper should be here any day, not that I'm held up on them. I am a bit held up on the commode coming in the mail that was back ordered.

With DSC a little over a month away, the schedule is getting really tight.

Many thanks Art. Constructing this like the full scale thing is the only way I saw of doing this because the roof will be lifting off so the aluminum ribs would show. Hope to get a bunch of bench time in this weekend.

Here's a couple of images of the instant water heater I'm currently working on.

WaterHeaterPic_zpsa4gg2muz.jpg

WaterHeater2_zps9fwprhz9.jpg

Alright fellas, the wall mount water heater is done with the exception of the exhaust chimney, which is made so I just need to install it after trimming its length to fit the curvature of the ceiling. This was all scratch built using Evergreen, brass brads, piano wire, a white headlight bucket and a decal from the decal box. It all raw, polished plastic. Its mounted to the wall to go above the galley cabinet. I like the way it came out. Here' a few pictures.

Waterheater2_zpsem13xams.jpg

WaterHeater1_zpsn9r0xntl.jpg

As always, thanks for following along and comments encouraged.

Edited by gasser59