Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han Ford Pinto Funny Car

W-409

Yesterday at Local Model Car Show I spotted one Jo-Han Pinto FC for sale. The first thing that caught my eye was the box, it was just like brand new! Since the price tag was 25 Euros, which is currently $32, I decided to buy it since there can never be enough Jo-Han kits in my stash! The kit was unstarted, only taillight lenses are missing. Maybe I need to scratchbuild them...

The plan is to build something that could have raced Back In The Day, with three-color paint scheme that will be something similar to the one in that box art. The engine is a Boss 429 (?) so all detail pics of those FC engines would be highly appreciated. I have some pics already, but still lots of details are unknown.

I started by cutting the Rear Window cover with "Pinto" text away, since I want to have a real rear window in this build. Then, after sanding those mold seams away, I put some Bondo on the body to fix a couple of bad spots. Tomorrow I'll sand them and see if it is already a time for primer coat. Also I started cleaning up the chassis parts, but I have no pics of them yet.

DSCN7036.jpg

DSCN7039.jpg

DSCN7089.jpg

DSCN7090.jpg

DSCN7095.jpg

DSCN7098.jpg

DSCN7100.jpg

DSCN7101.jpg

Here are pics of what was inside the box. http://public.fotki.com/NostalgicDrag/johan-ford-pinto-fc/

The plan is to build something that could have raced Back In The Day, with three-color paint scheme that will be something similar to the one in that box art. The engine is a Boss 429 (?) so all detail pics of those FC engines would be highly appreciated. I have some pics already, but still lots of details are unknown.

I started by cutting the Rear Window cover with "Pinto" text away, since I want to have a real rear window in this build. Then, after sanding those mold seams away, I put some Bondo on the body to fix a couple of bad spots. Tomorrow I'll sand them and see if it is already a time for primer coat. Also I started cleaning up the chassis parts, but I have no pics of them yet.

Decent engine pic here: http://www.hotrod.com/whereitbegan/hrdp_0507_mickey_thompson_funny_pinto_fc/photo_01.html

This kit was originally a replica of Mickey Thompson's Titanium Pinto, so the rear window with the "PINTO" opening was correct for that car.

Thanks Guys for the pictures and comments!

The progress hasn't been too fast, since I've been a bit sick lately. But now I'm feeling better and I'm able to do some more work again and I started from the Frame. I had cleaned the Mold Flash already, but today it was putty time to cover those Ejector Pin Marks. Tomorrow I will sand them down, and put some more putty or paint primer on those parts.. We will see... Also the body has got some more putty and sanding. Maybe a primer coat tomorrow?

DSCN7279.jpg

DSCN7282.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys!

I have been taking a break with this one. I'm trying to finish my '71 Pro Stock Barracuda for the Model Car Show next weekend. Also the Cannonball Torino for Cannonball Run CBP is in progress. Once they get done (Hopefully) I'll get back to this and a couple of other Drag Car builds. I've done little Bondo and sanding work on the frame rails, though and with the inside of the body, but there's really nothing much to show yet.

I've been thinking of posting a WIP of the Barracuda, but I'm bit hurry with it now, so it might be that I only post the finished pics when it is done. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fellas, and yeah, the kit has a battery. I didn't know that some of these had one before Aaron pointed that out. :) I'm not a Funny Car expert, but these are a lot of fun to build.

This is still kinda stalled, but I guess I can get an update posted soon. I've been working with the body and chassis... Bondo, sanding, more Bondo, more sanding etc.