Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did you ever notice how much room the engine bay of a '65 Chevy has?

I was at a local car show yesterday and a guy had a nice mint green '65 Chevy hard top.Despite the BB 396 installed,it still had tons of room with almost nothing there!Changing a water pump would be easy and it seemed to have a lot more room than other '60s models.A far cry from all of the stuff the cram into modern engine bays but it is comparing apples to oranges!

Yep!Nice to be able to change the plugs easily.

My son used to own a late '90s Z-28. The engine was set back so freakin' far, you literally couldn't see the rear two pairs of spark plugs. To change them, you had to do some major disassembly in the engine compartment... yet there was two feet of empty space beween the front of the engine and the radiator. :blink:

Worst engineered car I have ever seen.

He's grown up and gotten a lot smarter since then... drives a Volvo S60 now. B)

I was at a local car show yesterday and a guy had a nice mint green '65 Chevy hard top.Despite the BB 396 installed,it still had tons of room with almost nothing there!Changing a water pump would be easy and it seemed to have a lot more room than other '60s models.A far cry from all of the stuff the cram into modern engine bays but it is comparing apples to oranges!

Of course, it helps when the car in question is nearly 7' wide!

Art

My son used to own a late '90s Z-28. The engine was set back so freakin' far, you literally couldn't see the rear two pairs of spark plugs. To change them, you had to do some major disassembly in the engine compartment... yet there was two feet of empty space beween the front of the engine and the radiator. :blink:

Worst engineered car I have ever seen.

He's grown up and gotten a lot smarter since then... drives a Volvo S60 now. B)

Mine had a secondary and useless alternator bracket that took a swap from a 5 minute job to a 45 minute job. As soon as I got it out, tossed it, and put over 160000 more miles on the car without a problem. Loved the car, hated working under the hood.