Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush set up

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/BADGER_200.asp

One of those will last you forever and is all you need to start especially if you're mostly building cars and you can probably get a set for around 80$. You can add a dual action later if you're looking for something more precise for detailing.

As far as compressors go you can get a table unit or if you have a "garage" type compressor that works to with the proper fittings.

I`d also consider picking up a ultrasonic cleaner sometime down trhe road, saves a lot of headache when cleaning time comes around!

Here's a series of videos from Dr.Cranky to help you get used to your new airbrush once you get it

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F0A72E193811D1F

Good luck!

Edited by Bigjeff

If you go with a general shop compressor, be sure it is an oil-less design. Any oil used to lube the compressor will wreck your paint.

I consider the money I spent on a cheap single action starter AB and canned air a total waste. Expect to pay around $300 total for a set-up that will last.

I have an Iwata brush and a table top compressor.

Dale

Here goes the peace and quiet ..... Lol !

Paache H series kit from dixieart.com delivered to your door for $63.00 . Compressor .... Any nailer with a tank , Lowes , Home Depot , Sears , etc , $100 to $200 . Inline filters/ moisture trap , depends on what you want to spend !

I always preach " Tools First , Kits Second ! " . The aforementioned will serve you long and well for years to come with care and attention !

Donn Yost

After years of rattle cans, I still do some, bought a Mikata compressor from amazon and an Iwata airbrush from Chicago airbrush supply. Checked prices and deals everywhere and these were top shelf stuff at a great price. Good luck with both the hunt and your new adventure.

The compressor, as mentioned above, is the easy part. There are plenty of options for small compressors with a two- or three-gallon tank that will suit your needs. I currently have a Craftsman but used a Campbell-Hausfeld for several years.

The airbrush, on the other hand, will elicit a wide variety of responses and suggestions, and will probably result in rancorous and indecorous fightin' words being exchanged. So I'll start! People experience these kinds of things differently and as a consequence have different advice to offer. When I got back into modeling as an adult, I bought a Badger 350 kit that included several paint jars and a color cup and one of those tiny little air cans. I fell in love with airbrushing upon first use. The air cans are useless but the single-action, external-mix, suction-feed brush served well for several years. I grew restless with the limits that airbrush imposed. With a Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon in hand, I bought a Paasche VL and have never been happier.

So, my opinion is this: Get a dual-action, internal-mix airbrush. Whether it is suction feed or gravity feed is a matter of preference, I think. The ability to control both the quantity of paint and the air pressure while painting is invaluable to me. If those are features you'd like in your airbrush, then get a Paasche VL or similar airbrush and you'll be happy and contented while slinging paint.

The compressor, as mentioned above, is the easy part. There are plenty of options for small compressors with a two- or three-gallon tank that will suit your needs. I currently have a Craftsman but used a Campbell-Hausfeld for several years.

The airbrush, on the other hand, will elicit a wide variety of responses and suggestions, and will probably result in rancorous and indecorous fightin' words being exchanged. So I'll start! People experience these kinds of things differently and as a consequence have different advice to offer. When I got back into modeling as an adult, I bought a Badger 350 kit that included several paint jars and a color cup and one of those tiny little air cans. I fell in love with airbrushing upon first use. The air cans are useless but the single-action, external-mix, suction-feed brush served well for several years. I grew restless with the limits that airbrush imposed. With a Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon in hand, I bought a Paasche VL and have never been happier.

So, my opinion is this: Get a dual-action, internal-mix airbrush. Whether it is suction feed or gravity feed is a matter of preference, I think. The ability to control both the quantity of paint and the air pressure while painting is invaluable to me. If those are features you'd like in your airbrush, then get a Paasche VL or similar airbrush and you'll be happy and contented while slinging paint.

No fighting words to be had as all that's beeing said here is true :D

The reason why i still love my old airbrush is because it has a larger needle and is greeat for large surface work like priming and base coats, also makes shooting metalics and anything textured way easier. I started with the badger 200 and upgraded and kept the old one that's all, i'm not saying you need 2 airbursh

Botttom line is all about how much you wanna pay, the only thing i'm going to add is....If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. The 20$ airbrush on Ebay often have cheap plastic parts that don't stand up really well with some paints or solvents.

Google revues before you buy, Youtube is a mine of information too!!

Good luck!

I'm sure there will be lots of differing opinions. The reality is that there are a lot of workable alternatives.

I recommend getting a compressor with a tank. So long as you have a filter, it shouldn't matter whether the compressor uses oil or not. That said, the oiless compressors are less maintenance and don't need a yearly oil change. I don't care for the diaphragm type airbrush compressors. Their line pressure pulsates when you have the airbrush full open. The nail gun compressors at the home improvement stores should have plenty of capacity for airbrush work.

You should also have a regulator with filter and moisture trap, and pressure gauge so you can repeatably adjust your air pressure. It's a critical variable in your airbrush setup. Make sure you do not get a filter-regulator-lube device. The lubrication feature puts oil in your air line. It's great for air tools, but the last thing you want feeding your airbrush.

I have a Craftsman shop compressor. I added a separate regulator with a filter/moisture trap for my airbrush.

Whatever airbrush you get should be impervious to lacquer thinner. If you aren't spraying lacquer, then you'll be using lacquer thinner to clean the airbrush.

I have a Paasche VL. The set is a real workhorse and will last you a lifetime of models. It's available for a reasonable price if you shop online. The kit comes with three different nozzle/needle sets. They'll cover handle about everything from spraying bodies to fairly fine detail work. You also get two bottles and a color cup. Again covering just about any reasonable need. It also comes with a nice hose. It doesn't coil, but it's flexible and doesn't readily kink.

I have an Iwata Eclipse BCS. It's beautifully made, but very much optimized for thin inks and fine line widths. I don't know about the other Iwata airbrushes, but if you can find one with a sufficiently wide spray pattern when using paint, it should serve you well. Iwata cups and bottles will interchange with the Passche airbrushes.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry still trying to figure out how to use the quote box. I second what Chillyb1 has written as I began with a Paasche VL couple of decades agos and it is a workhorse with the three tips. I recently added an Iwata Eclipse and use it for fine work and applying alclad paints.

I would recommend starting with a dual action; one needs to learn, so might as well start with the versatile one. Also I added an Iwata studio compressor, wish I would have done it sooner. Two lines and regulators and quiet operation is worth the price. Add a Pace booth and you're all set

if you have to use a hobby quiet type compressor due to noise issues.. I would suggest getting the best one you can afford before sinking a lot into your first airbrush ,, airbrushes of every type come in all price ranges and are plentiful... however the compressor is the heart of the system and is worth getting one that will still be useful as your needs evolve.

on the other hand,if noise is not an issue, than look into the cheaper shop type compressors and maybe put more into the airbrush.